1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bands or musicians that you like that everybody else seems to hate

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think Rush would qualify because it always seems to be a 50-50 split on people who either love them or hate them.

I heard the new Hole song on the radio today and I thought it was great. I saw them at Lollapalooza when I was in college and thought they were incredible.

I'm curious what other bands fall into this category for people.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Hole? Aren't they named after Kurt Cobain's head?

HA! I kill me!

Loved by me, disliked by much of the group here: Metallica.
    Loved by me, unloved (or uncared about) by most of my friends: Rush and Springsteen.

3. Neil Diamond and (ducking) ... ... Barry Manilow.

4. Mizzougrad96

I think Metallica might fall into that category now. A lot of people, myself included, have hated the band since 1991, in part because of the Napster/suing fans deal but more because most of the music they've put out has been pure shit.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Metallica doesn't count, Piotr. They've been one of the biggest bands in the world for almost two decades. Granted, they've sucked for the last 15, but they get plenty of love.

And I don't think hate describes most people's take on one of my musical loves, Thin Lizzy. I think people are more indifferent or altogether ignorant of them. But I have such good musical taste :) that I don't really listen to any bands/artists that people hate. I listen to plenty that most people have never heard of, but that's their loss. Back to Thin Lizzy, if you don't like them, you're an idiot. :D [/proudmusicsnob]

Then again, lots of people seem to hate Pantera. :mad:

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm with evil orville on Neil Diamond. He has a great voice.

He can keep Barry.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Posted it with Mizzou in mind, and he didn't disappoint.

It's much more fashionable to dislike them now.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I kinda liked the first half of their last album. Good workout tunes. St. Anger blew, though, and much like R.E.M., it seems most knowledgeable Metallica fans much prefer their stuff pre-Black Album, which made them. Wonder what Dooley thinks about that. Of sociological import or not, I love Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and And Justice for All. I like the Black Album and give it points for being their entrance into the mainstream even though it has some really good metal songs on it. But the rest I can live without.

9. Mizzougrad96

I got a ticket as a gift to a Metallica show a few years ago and they were still great. What I thought was funny was that they played about three songs that came after 1991.

The worst song on Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets or And Justice for All is better than the best song on every album since the black album came out.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Very true.

And I'm rather enjoying this people-who-were-teens-in-the-mid-to-late-80s-discuss-how-cool-their-music-preferences-are jack.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I love the Metallica albums before the Black Album (that kicks some ass too) but I have found something worth listening to on every album since, with the exception of St. Anger. I loved "Fuel", "Ain't My Bitch", "King Nothing", "Hero of The Day" among others.

12. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

It's also a look-at-how-old-I-am-jack.
    :D

I never could get into REM. I hate "Losing My Religion."

Draft saved Draft deleted