1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bands or musicians that you like that everybody else seems to hate

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If memory serves, Stern gave him his big break. I think he got signed shortly after Howard had him on. I think it's a similar story with Sugar Ray, not that that's anything to brag about.

2. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

matchbox twenty/Rob Thomas

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

I just had an interesting conversation in Vegas with another guy at the blackjack table about this.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Steve Miller Band, Graham Bonnet, Spacehog, Matchbox 20, Maroon 5 (gulp), Mika, My Chemical Romance.

I thought everyone loved H & O.

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

God, I loathe Sugar Ray. Ugh. Even thinking about them makes me want to pour a bucket of acid on my head.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

For CB:

"Every morning ... I want to pour a bucket of acid on my head" Kinda fits.

:D

7. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I do not acknowledge that particular lapse of judgement.

And Trey, I love Maroon 5.

8. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I haven't cared for much of their stuff since "Songs About Jane" (of course, have they done more than one follow-up album of new material?), but a Maroon 5 concert was the most fun concert experience of my life.

It's not that Maroon 5 were the best musicians or the most charismatic performers, but the circumstances surrounding the actual concert made it great.

I saw Maroon 5 as the opening act in an arena show 12-18 months prior to their mainstream breakout. They were scheduled to return to the area a few months later, playing at a local bar with a capacity of about 200-250 max. The concert was postponed due to a snowstorm. In between the postponement and return trip, the band blew up.

I don't know why Maroon 5 didn't cancel and pay a small penalty, but they actually came back to this tiny little bar when they were just a couple of months away from a headlining arena tour. The atmosphere was amazing, with people crammed into a tiny bar to see Maroon 5 near their peak of popularity. A couple of hundred people standing shoulder to shoulder, crammed into a steaming hot area, singing along to every single song the band played.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I saw Flock of Seagulls in the basement of a bar in 1995. The guy with the big hair still had the big hair, and I must admit, "I Ran" was awesome.

As for Men at Work, Cargo and Business as Usual were great albums. I probably mentioned this on one of the previous 800 music threads, but in fifth grade, I traded a buddy my Van Halen 1984 cassette for his Business as Usual cassette. No regrets to this day.

10. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Nickelback. :D

Seriously, though, probably Boston. My dad had either 'Boston' or 'Don't Look Back' in the tape deck non-stop, and I was OK with that.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Who hates Boston?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'll go with Bob Seger since there seems to be a lot of lip curling in his direction from high-brow critics.

Draft saved Draft deleted