1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bands or musicians that you like that everybody else seems to hate

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I like Kid Rock and Dave Matthews Band.

I've always thought Kid Rock was pretty underrated. He's better known for marrying Pam Anderson and beating people up in a Wafflehouse than he is for his music and that's kind of a shame.

I saw DMB in a club when I was in college and they were just kind of a fun band to watch. Was I stunned when they were selling out football stadiums a few years later? Yeah, just a bit...

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Haha. Freudian slip, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I loved REM until Out of Time came out. Then they redeemed themselves with Automatic for the People.

For the most part, everything since has been pretty disappointing.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

As for Kid Rock, there are a bunch of tremendously written songs on his latest record, whatever the hell it's called. None in the socially relevant category, but some are heartfelt and many are clever and hilarious. Guy really is an underrated songwriter.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Agreed about his songwriting, YG. Especially in his earlier albums.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

schiezainc to the white courtesy phone please ...

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Whenever I tell people Pearl Jam is my all-time favorite band, I tend to get the "They were OK for the first few years, but after Vs., it went downhill."

And that doesn't bother me in the least. I'll be going to three upcoming shows next month, and they're still hard tickets to get. The songwriting in last 10 years has been top notch, and even though the band fully admitted that the latest album, Backspacer, is perhaps their most commercial album, it's got 5-6 really, really good songs on it.

I also said it on another thread, the Grateful Dead is by far the most underrated band of all time. Just fanstastic stuff, especially live.

As far as Metallica, I loved all the old stuff - Four Horsemen is one of my favorite tunes - but I stopped listening after Load. That being said, the lead riff on "The day that never comes," is flat out awesome.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Flock of Seagulls - If you can get past the awful hair and look, some these songs are pretty damn good. And the guitar on Space Age Love Song is fantastic.

Men at Work - Not just a goofy Aussie band.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Madonna, Styx, Kansas...I could go on and on

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Not bad for a guy who used to send in crazy songs to Howard Stern.

11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Basically all country music. I lived for four years with two years who couldn't STAND country music.

Garth Brooks is basically my favorite artist ever.

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Or is it Chris Gaines?

Draft saved Draft deleted