1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bands or musicians that you like that everybody else seems to hate

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Dave Matthews Band

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Losing My Religion does suck. Hey, Mike, stay in that corner. :)

Ya, I was trying to write around the old thing.

Hey, isn't there a One Republic song you could be listening to right about now. :D

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Inky wins. :)

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Kid Rock.

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Agreed.

Edit: I love One Republic.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I think Kid Rock's last album was awesome, so don't feel bad, Sonner. Remember, I have the best musical taste ever. You're in god company. I just hope you're listening to something else when you're pleasuring yourself to Michael Vick highlights.

Too far? :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Worst song on Ride the Lightning: Escape. Their "Hat's Off to Roy Harper." Possibly the worst song they ever committed to record. The entire album of Death Magnetic is better, as are half of Load and Re-Load, and a third of St. Anger.
    Worst song on Master of Puppets (relatively speaking): The Thing that Should Not Be. A few songs I'd rather hear, but are they "better"? Maybe.
    Worst song on ...And Justice For All: Eye of the Beholder? No contest, though a couple of tunes on Death Magnetic (the opening track, All Nightmare Long) certainly challenge.

The Black Album was the logical next step in the band's development. They had gotten as popular as they were going to get in metal circles, and gone as far as they could at the time with the eight-minute songs. So they shot the works on their radio-friendly money grab. It was their Permanent Waves, Out of Time (Green?), Achtung Baby, Born in the USA, etc. A really good record that isn't quite as good as what came before, but that opened them up to a massive audience. The tour behind it remains the best I've ever seen, by any band.

Load and Re-Load, I can't sell. About half the songs are enjoyable hard rock tunes, saved by beefy production. But about half the songs on Re-load make you say "why would ANY band write this song, much less record it?" Attitude, Better Than You, Carpe Diem Baby, Fixxxer, Slither, Prince Charming . . . all garbage that should not have gotten past the rehearsal stage. When someone tells me they're going to take a weak story and try to whip it into something mediocre that will see the light of day anyway, I say they're "going to Re-Load it." I gave up on the band at this time, skipped the Load tour, and returned to them after I saw them on the Re-Load tour (tickets were free).

St. Anger sounds like a band trying to sound like Metallica used to sound. It's forced and derivative. There are a couple of good tunes, but the tour behind it was great since they ignored the album and switched up the setlists nicely throughout. We got songs on that tour that I never expected to hear ever again, or at all.

Death Magnetic is very good. They play five or six tunes from it every night on the current tour, good for a third of the show. This is probably their last gasp as a true force both live and on record (they're all in their mid-40s now), and they're going out in style.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Are they that band that does "All the right moves in all the right pla-cesss!"

Then they ruin it with some weak "So yeah, we're going down."

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

haha. Not at all.

But yeah, his last one was awesome. So were his first seven or eight. :)

Dude puts on a good, high-energy show, too. Saw him in Roanoke way back when. Pretty sure that's the last show I've been to. Too damn expensive.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

What? Hats Off To Roy Harper is a great tune. In fact, I'm listening to it right now. No, really, I am. Zeppelin III is in the CD player on my laptop. Screw you, Piotr! :D

11. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Too far.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Yeah, they do ruin that song. I'll give you that one. I stand by "Apologize," however.

Draft saved Draft deleted