1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tampa Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MMatt60, May 23, 2008.

1. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Wasn't it the Tampa Tribune that recently offered buyouts to almost the whole staff?

Anyone hear what's going on there?

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

3. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Thanks.

4. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

But, wait ... there's more. From the Tampa Bay Business Journal last week:

"The Richmond, Va., publisher said it would lay off 810 full-time positions across the Southeast, almost entirely in its publishing division as well as 45 in broadcasting, and 20 in other corporate staff departments. The layoffs will be offset by the addition of 60 new positions in Media General's interactive media division that will focus on direct online sales initiatives as well as news. Those cuts, to take place in the beginning of the third quarter, are said to include about 60 job losses in the company's Tampa newsroom."

> Complete story at http://tampabay.bizjournals.com/tampabay/stories/2008/05/19/daily39.html.

All I can say is that I'm glad to be a Trib alumnus ... emphasis on "alumnus."

5. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Where the hell are the other 750 coming from!?!?

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The other two tips of the Media General Trident, I'd imagine. I thought most of the 810 were being killed off via attrition and doing away with unfilled jobs, but that's not what layoff means so ... hmmm .. many of their community papers are stripped pretty bare as it is.

Guess we can scratch MG off the Landmark suitor list.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Bad things for this paper's employees, I see....

Oh well, there's always Bar Tampa....

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

First the Tanga Lounge closes, and now this.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A few details:

*Nick Pugliese, formerly the SE and now a deputy SE, is taking the buyout and will be gone in mid-June. Have not talked to him in a while. Nick is a very good guy and - no offense to the new SE, I know nothing about her - his demotion shocked and disappointed me. They only won like four APSEs the previous year.

*Veteran desk guy Rick Harmon, coordinator of preps recently, is taking the voluntary buyout.

*Designer Mike Hartz is headed to the Columbus Dispatch as a news designer.

More to come. Lots of people still very nervous there. Too bad. It's a very good crew.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know some people there who are freaked the fuck out...

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's disturbing. Hadn't heard that. On spring break one year a buddy of mine nearly get his ass kicked by a stripper there because he wasn't going to tip her.

12. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Good for Pugo. He's been there nearly 30 years -- at least 27, if memory serves -- so he should have an exceptional buyout package waiting for him. He got rooked by management about a year ago, and I hope they pay a pretty penny now for the loss of his institutional knowledge. That disappointing turn of events epitomizes everything that's been going wrong with Mother Trib for the last five years or so.

If you're reading this, Nick, there's life outside the Tribune. I'm glad you'll finally get a chance to enjoy it.

Meanwhile, I can only imagine how many other veterans are queuing up for the lifeboats. And the readers are going to notice it.

Draft saved Draft deleted