1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter and Designer (2 Positions), Longmont, CO

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TrooperBari, Jun 14, 2010.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1176781
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1176787

The Longmont Times-Call is looking for two sports staffers -- a reporter who will need design skills, and a designer who needs to be able to take phoners and some writing. Not sure about the paper or who runs it (Lehman Communications?), but it looks like a pretty decent location, just a short drive north of Denver.

Doesn't look like a place with a lot of turnover.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/45347/

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Feel free to PM me with details about the area. Don't know much about the paper, but I can quickly get plenty of details.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I understand it's a privately owned paper? If that's the case, forget affordable health insurance.

Been there, done that, can't afford to buy the T-shirt.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of the country's best small papers.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

And yet they're looking for two people at once?

6. BH33

BH33 Member

The paper used to be very stable in its staff. It didn't have much turnover for a number of years. But, as with a lot of places, more people in recent years have left the business, which has created more turnover lately.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Lots more turnover up there in the past couple of years, namely the newsroom was hit hard by layoffs.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So are these new positions? Or replacing someone who left? I looked at their website and noticed they listed a four-person staff, which sounds about right for that size. (Have no idea if it's been updated recently.)

One of my pet peeves is when a company lays people off during a downturn and then a few months later goes out and hires newbees without first offering the spot to the person(s) laid off. Not saying that is the case here.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Company's don't like to do that if they're just trying to cut the payroll a little. Plus, if you bring back someone, they might get their seniority back.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Just a cheesy way to run a business. Ditch a veteran person making, say, $35K and two months later hire someone entry-level making $25k. Sure, nice savings for the company. Doesn't say much for the time-honored mantra of "pay your dues, work your way up the ladder". In fact just the opposite. Shows that hard work and loyalty are not rewarded.

Again, not at all suggesting that is happening here.

11. Mizzou: Used to be one of the great small papers. Used to be.

12. BH33

BH33 Member

These positions are to replace people who have left the company for other careers.

Draft saved Draft deleted