1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com buzzwords

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Oct 9, 2006.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

There's a clear vernacular here on our wonderful site, and as such, there are a few catch phrases and buzz words that naturally take hold.

I love "You're hired!" or "Thanks for stopping by (insert name of previously complimented writer here)." They never get old to me. Don't know why, but I still enjoy.

But as DeNiro might say, "There's a flip side to that coin."

I've noticed a few that I simply can't stand.

Most recently is the addition of "mouth breather." I'm not really sure where it came from, though I surmise from its context that it's a synonym for neanderthal, but I still just don't get how it equates to anything. Somehow, I think that even if it is explained to me, it's going to still strike me as dumb.

Another is "intellectually dishonest." It seems to make the poster sound intelligent and important, but it's a fairly empty phrase.

Any others out there bugging the crap out of you folks? And in the interests of not turning this into a complete pissing and moaning type thread, what are some of your favorites? Any that have found their way into your "real world" rotation?

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Dammmmn ... I only used it once...

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

BLOGS! My friends who've never visited here use it in e-mails to announce a new entry, a habit they picked up from me.

I love the fruit rollup thing, even though I missed it while I was moving.

As for annoying, COCKDIAN comes immediately to mind.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

HOW YOU SaY CAN THAT U SPORCHI?K

5. I don't know. COCKDIAN is a wonderfully useless word.
    CHARMION ain't bad, either.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Believe me, shotty, this thread isn't directed at any specific posters and I hope it doesn't take a turn in that direction. I'm sure I've used words or phrases that bother others.

WALKOFF HOME RUN!WALKOFF HOME RUN!WALKOFF HOME RUN!WALKOFF HOME RUN!WALKOFF HOME RUN!WALKOFF HOME RUN!WALKOFF HOME RUN!WALKOFF HOME RUN!WALKOFF HOME RUN!WALKOFF HOME RUN!WALKOFF HOME RUN!WALKOFF HOME RUN!WALKOFF HOME RUN!WALKOFF HOME RUN!WALKOFF HOME RUN!WALKOFF HOME RUN!WALKOFF HOME RUN!

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Assclown, on the other hand, is timeless.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

See, I don't mind Asshat. I heavily dislike Indiansnetwork and CaptainCharisma, though.
    P.S. I am sure there is some terrible puncuation in there, but I am drunk so don't mind me.

Draft saved Draft deleted