1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com Style Guide!!! (running thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Jul 11, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yes, it's awfully presumptious of me to just start this. But I read the great obit thread, saw the suggestion and figured what better idea for a running thread?

d_b: posting old news as if it just occured, a la the universally derided douchebag deep_backgrouind
    NIAFL: No Idiots Allowed Fantasy League. It also means No Invitations Are Forthcoming, Loosers!!!  :D Sorry, but it's the most exclusive fantasy league on SportsJournalists.com...our own Skull and Bones, if you will.
    STFU: Shut The Fuck Up. Very rarely used on its own. For instance, if Moddy and I are fighting (again), it's not enough just to say STFU!!! It's more like "Chug A Bottle Of STFU, asshole."
    Fanboy looser: Used to describe hardened journalists who still root for teams away from the office. Also see: Moddy.  :D
    DTGDTN: Delete This Goddamn Thread Now!! Used whenever a thread goes beyond the acceptable bounds of stupidity or poor taste.
    Starman Justice: Pays homage to Starman, who wants recidivist drug dealers, drug users, child molestors, murderers and Pete Rose dealt with in the most brutal and finalistic way possible.
    Eight seconds: How long I last in bed.
    Fucking dickhead: SportsJournalists.com's universal term of endearment.
    Old dickhead: SportsJournalists.com's universal term of endearment for Spnited.
    Fuck you you fucking dickhead: Spnited's response to most who call him an old dickhead.
    Dicksnorts: Term coined by Night Shifter djc3317 to describe SportsJournalists.com's sedate daysiders.
    Covering the walls in lipstick: Used whenever an SportsJournalists.commer goes off the deep end. Pays homage, so to speak, to She Who Cannot Be Named, who wrecked havoc on SportsJournalists.com with dramas both real and imaginary. OK, mostly imaginary.
    She Who Cannot Be Named: Describes She Who Cannot Be Named.
    Fucking stud: Term coined by Mizzou honoring talented young up-and-comers from journalism factories who are landing huge beats shortly after graduation. See also Snow, Chris.
    I'd Hit It: Term coined by Spaceman and used whenever someone wants to indicate a desire to fornicate with a member of the opposite sex, usually a celebrity.
    The Board Has Been Shut Down For Less Than This!!: Pays homage to the Daily News/Boston Globe issues which reportedly closed the original incarnation of this board. Used whenever a discussion gets out of hand. Or whenever Bonnie Bernstein is mentioned.
    Link Please!!: A demand issued by one of the moderators whenever an offensive picture is posted.
    ...Charlie Brown: Pays homage to "It's a Crappy Sequel, Charlie Brown!" the longest running thread in SportsJournalists.com history in which board members would say anything that came to mind and follow it with...Charlie Brown. For instance: My Editor Is A Dicksnort, Charlie Brown.
    RIP (fill in the blank): Sarcastically coined by Poindexter in response to a spate of sympathetic threads honoring dead celebrities. For instance, if Larry Flynt dies, Poindexter will say "RIP Smut God."

Add at will!!!!

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

BYH, you're hired! (write the definition yourself, god dammit...not like you have much else to do. :D)

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

:) ;) :D or ;D = Cowardly way of saying something rude but pretending it was a joke.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Tahoe, 15 minutes from: Used to describe the location of every journalism job in America.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

bootsed, bootsing: To take and/or put it in the ass. A reference to the now-classic boots-and-his-backdoor friend thread. First used as a verb (I think) after mustardbased was hit with $99.75 in "convenience charges" by Ticketmaster for Stanley Cup Finals tickets.

Example: I bootsed that chick. Ticketmaster bootsed me. There was some bootsing going on.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Damnit!!! You're hired! How could I forget that?

you're hired!: term coined by SportsJournalists.com's king of the lower case, hoops mccann, in response to dorks who, unprovoked, tout their own abilities or ask the openings on job threads

Edit: Folks, please, use the bold font for the terms so that the style guide is in one style. Thanks!  :)  ;)  :D  ;D

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

NSFW: Not Safe For Work. Usually refers to a WWW image (typically adult in nature) that you wouldn't want anybody seeing over your shoulder on your computer screen at work. Sadly, at some shops SportsJournalists.com is itself NSFW.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

What, no douchenozzle?

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

but do you know the origin of how this came to be. that should be in the definition too.

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

post pad: To post messages at an astounding rate, often for no reason other than to "pad" statistics. In no way linked to Ricky "wrong basket" Davis.

Example: dooley_womack1

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

RIP your name here: A thread title to commemorate those who have gone before us. Sometimes used in respect (see "Woods, Earl"), sometimes used in contempt (see "Lay, Ken.") Mostly used for deaths, but also can be used for jumping the shark moves (see "Chung's career, Connie") or sinking into mediocrity (see "Braves".) ... Note: Please don't confuse us with an "RIP Steve Martin" thread title if you're not talking about the wild and crazy guy. ;) Because that won't end well ...

This thread won't end well: Phrase used after a controversial or inflammatory comment is made, especially one made out of context with the general discussion. It does not apply to this thread ... yet. 8)

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

baked chicken: SportsJournalists.com's favorite dish.

Draft saved Draft deleted