1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a double standard for Josh Duggar and Lena Dunham?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 5, 2015.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

What is it with this country that, rather than admit someone was wrong, we point at someone else and say, "BUT WHAT ABOUT THEM DURRRRRR!!!!???" Why does it have to be an either or? Both as disgusting assholes. The end.

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I belligerently request you stop inserting reason into juicy message board fodder. Durrr.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I don't think so. Isn't the one I was referencing a him? To be honest, I don't know much about either of these people or these cases, but since one is apparently associated with evangelical Christianity I thought I'd throw the question out there.

But if it's true that Dunham was only 7 years old at the time of whatever it is she did, then that's the far more obvious distinction. I don't think anything that a 7 year old does can fairly be characterized as pedophilia, the same certainly cannot be said for a 15 year old.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is there an equation for that?

Yo, @doctorquant!

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Lena Dunham, whose work I like and is clearly whip smart, has never presented herself as pious. I do think there's a kind of "you know you're all like this!" moral superiority to her, though.

I've never seen and don't ever plan to see the Duggar show.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure they meant the Duggars.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Dunham is not the one being referenced there.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

As others noted Dunham was 7 when her incident occurred which makes the incidents far different IMO.

FWIW Duggar looks like a sex offender/arsonist/stalker so that doesn't work in his favor either.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yes, I know.

But I do think Dunham has a moral superiority in her work. Moral superiority doesn't need religious undertones to be expressed.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

As I was gonna say ... Piety comes in a whole lotta flavors.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, he looks like someone who'd be sitting wide eyed in Chris Hansen's kitchen with a copy of the New Testament in his back pocket and a couple of home made gingham condoms in his front pocket.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

bigpern23, Riptide, lcjjdnh and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted