1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guillen says nothing we haven't said among ourselves here

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 85bears, Jun 22, 2006.

1. 85bears

85bears Member

Re: Wow. Sorry if this is late. Just read Mariotti's column...

As bad as this makes Ozzie look, Mariotti might be the one who really ends up taking the biggest long-run hit over this. I can't imagine Chicago readers are going to enjoy finding out that their hard-hitter is really a wimp. The emporer has no clothes. Should be interesting to see what this does to his credibility.

And - P.S. - I'm the one who stood up for Jay on another thread. I like him as a person a lot.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This has been posted before, but it's worth a repeat:

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2005/10/jay_mariottis_y.html

Clueless putz.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Guillen's not a complete idiot. You don't rise to the level he has in baseball by being an idiot. He's an intelligent person, capable of crafting an endearing and unique persona for public ocnsumption. He's wealthy and successful. That's the standard he should be held. Intelligent, Successful, Wealthy, Accomplished.

But he'll get the Reggie White Minority pass.

4. lono

lono Active Member

I guess Mariotti gave away a lot of his elementary school lunch money to the school bully.

To basically admit you're scared to go into the locker room ... well, it makes him look a lot worse than Ozzie, which I didn't think was possible.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

For starters, Mariotti has no credibility other than the one that is bestowed on him by virtue of working at the Sun-Times. He's earned none of it.
    But he's not going to get dumped for this, he's not going to get demoted for this. People will buy the paper to read what stupid thing he's going to do next. Now, if the players and coaches refused to talk to the beat writer for the Sun-Times until Munster actually shows up, it might force his hand. But he's not going to face the heat; it's not his style and his editors let him get away with it.
    As much as it sucks...
    And sorry you like him as a person.I've always found him a smug wart on the ass of society

6. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Oh, to be in the Cell press box today...
    Rick Morrissey rips Marriotti a new one, basically saying 'show up if you're going to rip"
    http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-060622morrissey,1,3911834.column?coll=cs-home-utility

7. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Sorry, just saw this was already on the journalists thread.... my apologies. Anyway, enjoy it if you haven't seen it.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

9. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

11. boots

boots New Member

Look. Ozzie told the truth. Jay is a piece of shit. He's not the only one who feels that way. What hurt Ozzie was the sexual orientation reference. Ozzie was being Ozzie. He stepped on a few toes. Get over it. Life is short enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted