1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morrissey vs. Mariotti

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wisportswriter, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Mo' takes Jay to task in today's Trib. It came over Knight Ridder wire tonight (Thursday) and isn't on the Trib Web site yet, so maybe somebody can help me with a link once it's up on Friday morning.
    Very interesting stuff, though.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-060622morrissey,1,3911834.column?coll=cs-home-utility

My favorite excerpt:

I'll give Mariotti this: Whether he realizes it or not, he might have been the nation's first blogger, without actually writing one.

He has led the way by not leading the way to the locker room or the clubhouse. He writes what he wants without ever talking to a soul.

The only difference is he travels often to events, unlike bloggers, many of whom sit in their underwear all day and update, update, update.

But it's not the way most columnists do their jobs. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Guillen spent part of Thursday night ripping Mariotti again.

I should know.

I was in the Sox's dugout, before the game. It was another day at the office for a lot of us.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Sounds like the Tribune is still smarting from getting its ass kicked by bloggers most of the baseball season.

And whenever I think of people sitting in their underwear and updating, I think of boots. Very reluctantly.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Can't recall too many instances of a columnist completely excoriating another columnist in the same city (or other city, for that matter). Certainly not on the matter of journalistic responsibility.

Loved it.

Jay will shriek like a banshee respond, 'Tribune hates me cause I tell the truth about how soft they are on their baseball partners!'

Jay's Thursday column on the subject--"It is not about me!--had a graf about how he couldn't possibly go to the ballpark, since Sox security had failed to provide him ample security in the past, after he was threatened with bodily harm by players. REALLY would love to hear the Sox comment on that.

Count on a lively, vicious, and public brouhaha the next time these two cross paths. Can anyone find the great story from the Reader (a few years ago) on the fight between Mariotti and Telander? Classic.

5. I actually thought it was pretty good. It served several purposes, but the biggest was ripping his co-worker a new you know what. How many times have beat writers had to take the flap for what a columnist (that hardly is ever seen at this particular team's games) wrote.

Definitely beats the corny dueling Sunday column Dan LeBeturd writes along with the Herald's other columnist. (name escapes me right now)

6. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

So Jay claims he doesn't go the U.S. Cellular Field due to poor White Sox security.  Wonder what his new excuse will be in 7 days when the White Sox play the Cubs at Wrigley?

I vaguely remember that Michael Miner "Hot Type" piece in The Chicago Reader.  IIRC, Telander asked Mariotti to step outside to settle their differences and Jay refused. 

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bravo....
    I hope the heat stays on Eddie Munster.. He might be led kicking and screaming into the locker room, but he'd be there...
    And if he isn't, perhaps management would get a columnist who will do that,..

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Found it....

http://www.chicagoreader.com/hottype/2003/030808_1.html

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As a newcomer to the exciting field of blogging, I want Rick to know I always wear pants when I write.
          I'll be very disappointed in Jay if he doesn't write a fictional column imagining Ozzie's first sensitivity training session.
          I've known Jay a long time and I like him. But I certainly don't understand why he would go to so many events (guy's everywhere, more energy than a hummingbird) yet not go work clubhouses and locker rooms. That's nor just part of the job, it's part of the job that's good for you no matter where you stand on the professional food chain. Our job is to find stuff out, and that means asking questions. How else will we learn anything? I didn't use a lot of quotes in my columns as a rule, but I seldom dared write one before gathering input from its subjects.
          Perhaps I was just more paranoid than Jay. In my mind, the day I didn't make the trek down to talk to the players after the game was always going to be the day Manny Ramirez announced his reitirement to pursue a degree in world literature, or the day I'd see four teammates helping Tom Brady put on his socks.

10. JuneBug1

JuneBug1 Member

That is a Bush League column by Rick.

To me, there is a certain sanctity that exists in which he undermined. You know, if you don't like what another columnist writes (particularly one at another paper), you just keep it to yourself. I think it is unprofessional to ever, ever, ever, ever comment negatively about another guy's piece.

Maybe I'm an idiot, maybe I'm old-school, whatever. But that is how I feel.

11. 85bears

85bears Member

Rick Morrissey goes off on Mariotti, bloggers

"I'll give Mariotti this: Whether he realizes it or not, he might have been the nation's first blogger, without actually writing one.
    "He has led the way by not leading the way to the locker room or the clubhouse. He writes what he wants without ever talking to a soul.
    "The only difference is he travels often to events, unlike bloggers, many of whom sit in their underwear all day and update, update, update."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...issey,1,2465414.column?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Re: Rick Morrissey goes off on Mariotti, bloggers

Unlike the 85 Bears, you are repeating:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/28487/

Draft saved Draft deleted