1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Energetic sports reporter/designer (Kerrville, Texas)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by cwilson3, Apr 11, 2010.

1. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

Work for an award-winning daily newspaper that covers not only high school sports, but professional teams like the Spurs, and where everyone gets Saturdays off. (Unless you have credentials to a Big 12 football game, of course.) The Kerrville Daily Times, approximately 60 miles northwest of San Antonio, is looking for a sports writer. Candidate must be able to write features, columns and game stories, as well as design sports pages. Must-have skills include proficiency in InDesign, an understanding of newspaper design and high school sports and a firm grasp of AP style. Someone interested in video and Web packages a plus. Right person will take progessive approach to covering sports and offer creative page design. Send five writing clips, three design clips and resume to Managing Editor Carlina Villalpando, 429 Jefferson St., Kerrville, Texas 78028; fax to (830) 895-4060; or e-mail information to carlna.villalpando@dailytimes.com.

PM with questions.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

3. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

Though I have no problems with previous management (other people apparently did), that paper is very different from the publisher down FWIW.

4. BCox34

BCox34 New Member

Just to give you the heads up, I think there's a typo in the e-mail address.

5. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

Yea it should be Carlina.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

It would be nice if the ad was truthful. There is no Spurts coverage. There is no Big 12 coverage. Things have changed a lot starting with management but the emphasis is local, local, local and there is a lot to do locally speaking.

7. MrBSquared

MrBSquared Member

Below is a response to a post the last time Drip decided to take shots at Kerrville ...

"Spent 20 months in Kerrville. Left with 18 state and regional writing awards and two section awards. On top of high schools and some Schreiner, also covered the NBA (including the playoffs through the championship series), Texas and Texas A&M football, Cowboys training camp in San Antonio and Cowboys-Texans game in Houston, PGA tournament in San Antonio, was sent to APSE convention as a contest judge and generally was given the chance to do anything I could manage to pull off.

The point? Any job (whatever the pay scale) is only as good as you are willing to make it ..."

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

The point is you made no point. The emphasis at the paper is local as well as it should be. There's no need to take a shot at Kerrville. Their track record pretty much speaks for itself.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The master of the backpedal continues...
    Good luck to whomever gets this job. Sounds like a great spot for someone to hone their skills...

10. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Pretty country. Good folk music festival at the end of May.
    That's all I got.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

You need to get your facts straight before posting.

12. WrIIter

WrIIter Guest

Since this has become something other than actual discussion of this job....I'll get us back there.

Sports Editor John Turner does things right, was recently named a top 10 columnist in Under 40 by APSE (along with the section). And he has a pretty good sense of humor.

His head is in the right place, he knows what he's doing and is willing to try new things out in the paper to see if they work. I certainly would love to work with him.

Thumbs up on this one.

http://apsportseditors.org/newsletter/danny-noonans-big-adventure/

Draft saved Draft deleted