1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AME page design/sports, Kerrville (Texas) Daily Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by bpoindexter, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Company: Kerrville Daily Times
    Position: Assistant managing editor for page design and
    sports
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000
    Ad Expires: April 28, 2009
    Job ID: 212691

Description:
    Kerrville Daily Times, approximately 60 miles northwest of San Antonio, is seeking an assistant managing editor to lead its pagination efforts and sports desk. The right person would produce A1 and other news pages five nights a week — designing an average of three to five pages per night, copy edit text and pages and oversee a 2-person sports department.

Musts: • proficiency in InDesign • an understanding of newspaper design • a firm grasp of AP style • ability to edit copy on deadline • management experience

Work with a newsroom staff of 11 in a laid-back, family friendly atmosphere. The Times, owned by Southern Newspapers Inc., offers paid vacation, a 401K program and health insurance. Send five clips and resume to Managing Editor Rayanne Schmid, 429 Jefferson St., Kerrville, Texas 78028 or e-mail information to rayanne.schmid@dailytimes.com.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Copy desk chief and sports editor? That's a new one.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

AME making less than 30K? Good God.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm actually fairly qualified for a copy desk chief/sports editor job. But not for those bones.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm trying to imagine doing what I'm doing now, and adding copy desk duties on news-side on top of that. All for less than $30K.

Forget it.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Run. I repeat. Run far away from this job. It is not worth the aggravation you will receive. The shelf life at this job and with this particular company is less than a year.

7. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

Anyone with questions can PM me. I have nothing but good things to say, though. Despite what the knowledge fairy above says.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i like that

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Thank you for the kind words Mr. Wilson. I'm not wrong about the job's shelf life and I'm definitely not wrong about the aggravation.

10. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

Judging by your bitterness, you're a joy to work with anyhow. Why don't you go play and let the adults talk.

11. jmb51879

jmb51879 Member

This place could be the friendliest, most motivating and fun work environment in the world and it wouldn't matter with what they are trying to pay. And what sort of quality are you getting under you if your pay is that low? I've spent many a season on the desk, and I don't know many people who will even work a copy editors position for that pay. Something tells me the power company doesn't care how great the work environment is if you can't cut them a check.

And cwilson3, let the Billy Bad Ass routine go. It's not impressive. I don't know Drip personally, but I have found him to be useful on the board. Maybe you could offer a different perspective without being a dick. There's enough frustration out there without getting banged on by some anonymous clown who thinks he's a tough guy.

12. esport12

esport12 Member

For what it's worth, I've heard mixed reviews about this one. The ME there does some decent stuff and really understands the importance of sports. Upper management, though, is a problem. So, it's just about like every other place in this business.

Pay is alarmingly low.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.