1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dice- K for Rookie of Year?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 30, 2007.

?

Who would you vote for for R.O. Y.?

1. Dice K

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. Other

13 vote(s)
    86.7%
  1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Really, Oz, tell me how those numbers prove Berroa had a better year.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If anything, they point to Matsui -- 33 RBI better, a better OBP.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If anything, the notion that Matsui should have far and away been the ROY should be thrown aside. The two were close enough that it could have gone either way.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Taking this back a little further, it still rankles me that Nomo won in 1995 instead of Chipper Jones.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Another vote for Bannister here. :D

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

When you consider that Berroa played for Kansas City and had a fraction of the talent Matsui had around him, it makes Berroa's season better.

As for the topic at hand, slight edge to Bannister over Okajima. Just hope he doesn't turn out like Berroa.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Based on what Berroa has done since he was clearly on the juice.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Of course, we're all missing the spirit of the question if not the letter of it: Why are Japanese league players up for ROY honors in the first place? They'd been pros for several years before they come here, and I'd say the level of play in Japanese baseball is now on par with baseball here. I think the rule needs to be changed soon. Of course, I also would love to see a true(r) World Series: the North American champ vs. the Japan champ.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Always heard Japan's leagues compared to AAA.

Last I checked, they still had a two-foreigner limit per team.

11. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I think that's a farce.

Minor leaguers here in America have been pros for many years before playing MLB ball.

And while you say Japanese ball is on par with that of the MLB variety, there are still some who say it's more a class between triple A and the majors. I see no problem with these players being up for ROY honors at all.

And with that, I say Okie should be the ROY, with Bannister and Pedroia a close 2A and 2B.

NOBODY EXPECTED THIS GUY TO COME INTO BOSTON AND DO WHAT HE HAS DONE.

Remember, he was supposedly Dice-K's binky. Come to find out he's better the Dice-K right now, as is Pedroia in this rookie campaign.

My vote is for Okie!

Draft saved Draft deleted