1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL & NL Rookie of the Year Poll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Aug 23, 2007.

?

Pick who you think deserves the AL & NL R.O.Y. Award? Make sure you vote for a player in EACH league

1. Brian Bannister, RHP (AL - Kansas City)

9 vote(s)
    17.0%
  2. Travis Buck, OF (AL - Oakland)

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  3. Alex Gordon, 3B-1B (AL - Kansas City)

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  4. Jeremy Guthrie, RHP (AL - Baltimore)

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Daisuke Matsuzaka, RHP (AL - Boston)

7 vote(s)
    13.2%
  6. Hideki Okajima, LHP (AL- Boston)

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  7. Dustin Pedroia, 2B (AL - Boston)

18 vote(s)
    34.0%
  8. Joakim Soria, RHP (AL - Kansas City)

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  9. Reggie Willits, OF (AL - Los Angeles)

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  10. Ryan Braun, 3B (NL - Milwaukee)

35 vote(s)
    66.0%
  11. Josh Hamilton, OF (NL - Cincinnati)

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  12. Tim Lincecum, RHP (NL - San Francisco)

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  13. James Loney, 1B (NL - Los Angeles)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Hunter Pence, OF (NL - Houston)

6 vote(s)
    11.3%
  15. Troy Tulowitzki, SS (NL - Colorado)

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  16. Chris B. Young, OF (NL - Arizona)

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  17. other AL (please list)

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  18. other NL (please list)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I know Shaggy made a thread about this already, but I just wanted to see what the results would be if SportsJournalists.com controlled the vote. That being said, I vote for Pedroia (gasp!) and Braun. Pedroia has been solid both at the plate and the field for Boston, and has handled that pressure-cooker fairly well. I'm not voting for either Japanese player b/c I view them as veterans and the talent-pool in the Japanese leagues is no longer at a Triple-A level. They're damn good players, but no rookies (especially Okajima). But any of you want to vote for them, knock yourselves out.

As far as the NL, there's no contest. Braun has been hitting out of his mind, and despite coming out of ST with the bad-glove label, you don't hear much about any fielding gaffes. Hamilton, Lincecum and Pence have either experienced stints on the DL and/or ineffectiveness. Tulowitzki's numbers are good, but aren't as eye-popping as his peers. Young has the "wow" factor with the power and speed, but the low average and strikeouts scream Mike Cameron, 2.0. Loney's numbers are nice, but he's a 1B with 2B-like raw stats.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Actually, Braun is a butcher in the field. Twenty errors in 78 games.

He's still the easy ROY though.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I voted for Braun and Okajima. I think Okajima has been just as valuable, if not more than Dice-K this season. He has stabalized a bullpen that was supposed to be a weakness for the Red Sox and turned it into a plus, well, until Eric Gagne showed up.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I like Boston, but Dice-K is overrated.

I like Kansas City, and Brian Bannister is vastly underrated. Leads league in lack of run support.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Unlike the AL, there's no debate there.

6. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Anyone think Hamilton will be a legit contender b/c of the sympathy vote, or will he "just" get Comeback Player of the Year?

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

He will "just" get comeback honors. Braun's having too good of a season not to win it.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Three people have voted for Alex Gordon. I hope these three aren't actual voters.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Chris B. Young got my NL vote. 26 homers on a first place team. Braun is an excellent talent, but at BYH pointed out a horrible fielder at this point. Young has been mashing and the D-Backs have been reaping the rewards in their climb to the top of the NL West.

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

what about billy butler?

probably won't get the vote, but deserves a mention

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Braun plays defense like people are lobbing grenades at him. If Chris Young didn't play out west he'd be running away with this award.

And yeah, I voted for Alex Gordon. Dude's money in pressure situations... ;D

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He spent a very large portion of the season in the minors....and what little time he has spent playing in the field has been a disaster.

Draft saved Draft deleted