1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2014 season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Bautista and Casey Janssen with open displeasure at Toronto not doing anything...specifically wondering why the team couldn't get Prado.

Janssen: "There are certain GMS out there who go for it a lot."

Bautista: "I'm a little disappointed. Other teams find a way to improve."

He then blasted a HR in the first.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The Rays traded a recent Cy winner in his prime for a utility infielder, a mid-rotation guy and an 18-year-old 'sleeper' prospect in single A.
    Not a good trade.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

And if they keep winning they will be saying next week they didn't need to add anybody and unlike the fans and media they believed in the group they had. Getting Lawrie, Lind and Encarnacion (maybe even Morrow) back and productive might be bigger than any deadline move they would have made.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Would you rather catch a foul ball or have the ball person hand it to you?

5. Songbird

Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs goes 4.2 hitless in Balto but just threw a pitch and motioned for the trainer, and just left the game. Was twirling a gem.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Cliff Lee left tonight's start in the third inning with elbow pain.
    Good thing he wasn't somebody's new ace.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Keith Law calls the Rays' return for Price "shockingly low." I have to agree.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/keith-law/post?id=2677

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Adames by all reports is a great prospect, but the Tigers don't care -- he's 18 and won't be smelling the bigs for 3-5 years in any case, by which time Miguel Cabrera's career will be starting to slide down the abyss (the real driver in this deal. They don't care what's going to happen in 2018; they want to win now, and have a good shot in 2015).

In the meantime they're still very high on Suarez and Iglesias, both 23. Add in Castellanos, who is younger (22), they figure they're set in the infield for the next several seasons. (I suspect their ultimate plan, if Iglesias comes back 100% healthy in 2015, is to let Kinsler walk or deal him within another season or so and slide Suarez over to 2B for a Whitaker-Trammell type SS-2B combo which could be good for a decade. Maybe THEN they'll worry about 2018.)

Personally I am somewhat surprised the Rays didn't ask for one of THOSE guys (Suarez or Castellanos) as a throw-in on the deal.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

They overturned an out at home in the Reds @ Marlins game in the top of the eighth. Horseshit rule and horseshit application of the rule. Reds awarded tying run instead of inning-ending out, then go on to add two more.

I expect all the Reds players to line up for their orange slices after the game.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I don't blame players for being pissed off, they don't care about 2 to 3 years from now. I also don't blame Anthopolous for not doing anything. They aren't exactly stacked with prospects.

The deadline is where more mistakes are made than any other time of year.

11. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Songbird

10 scoreless at Camden Yards.

Draft saved Draft deleted