1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2014 season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

To satisfy the modern sports narrative, it's no longer enough to be a good team playing well. You have to be morally superior, too.

Kind of like Johnny Gomes' wisecrack after last year's World Series about the Red Sox being a team "not built on WAR, but guys you want to go to war with." Nevermind the fact that Boston has won three World Series since it hired Bill James as a player personnel advisor.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is a new conduit for expressing it, but athletes have always believed that they win not because they are better at sports than their opponent or because things went their way, but because they are better people in the ways that matter.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Would it really hurt for someone to spend the 30 seconds to Google that instead of looking like a dumbass for asking the question? And even if he isn't from the States, it still can be found easily enough online. Good God some people are lazy.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Their fans are even worse.

5. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

I think it's because God and his only begotten son Jesus Christ want them to win more than the other guy.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Athletes and their coaches have always resorted to an "us against them" mentality to keep players together. That's what's taking place whenever you hear worn-out things like, "Nobody believed in us but ourselves."

Players are told from a very early age that the other team is out to get you, the media is out to get you and you need to stick together and fight!

I would love to see another way of motivating athletes evolve.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Damn good point. If I didn't have a rooting interest, I do now for Game 2.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's annoying, but it works. There's something in our biological evolution that is coded very strongly to defaulting to "us vs. them."

Draft saved Draft deleted