Author Topic: Isola rips Windhorst  (Read 2351 times)

Offline JoelHammond

• Smiley!
Isola rips Windhorst
« on: April 11, 2010, 05:56:36 AM »
Wow.

"I've got Jerome James on my speed dial and Windhorst has LeBron. Okay, so life isn't fair. I also know that Brian has his resume sitting in the sports office of every New York newspaper and is ready to pounce on one of our jobs should LeBron sign with the Knicks.

I sometimes think that Brian wants to come to New York more than LeBron. He's a huge "Sopranos" fan and fancies himself as LeBron's underboss.

I'm guessing it absolutely killed Brian to write that LeBron is leaning toward staying. It must be true because Brian desperately wants to get out of Ohio and is essentially the best thing the Knicks have going for them: a spy on the inside working on their behalf."

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/knicks/2010/04/if-lebron-stays-in-cleveland-s.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fblogs%2Fknicks+%28Blogs%2FKnicks+Knation%29

Offline cwilson3

Re: Isola rips Windhorst
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 06:16:39 AM »
Wow, what a loser. Windhorst is definitely one of the best, if not the best, beat writer in the NBA. That guy's obviously a little envious.

Offline Jersey_Guy

• I love SportsJournalis ts.com!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 06:58:09 AM »
I think Isola was trying to be funny here and came off as bitter.
Torture is torture. If you're going to be a country which follows the rule of law - which we are - torture is is illegal. If waterboarding is OK, then why don't we let our police do it to suspects, so they can learn what they know? ... We only seem to waterboard Muslims. --Jesse Ventura.

Offline Moderator1

• SJ Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 07:03:50 AM »
I think Isola was trying to be funny here and came off as bitter.

Yeah. I read it twice and still can't tell. Part of me thought, "he's trying to rip on a buddy but no one else is in on the joke" and part of me thought, "He's trying to drill this guy."  Either way, it didnt work.

Was this online only or did it make it into print?
Go out of your way to make good memories. At some point, these memories may be all you have left. May God bless you all.

"Some people are so busy learning the tricks of the trade, they never learn the trade. - Vernon Law

www.washingtontimes.com

Help my darling daughter:  bit.ly/19d4njb

Offline JoelHammond

• Smiley!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 07:04:36 AM »
I believe it was online only, as Windhorst's story is in this morning's paper. May have seen it late on Twitter and responded then.

Offline imjustagirl

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 07:11:47 AM »
Hell, if you're a working writer in Cleveland and you want to move up and your resume ISN'T on the desk of every newspaper in New York, then you're not trying that hard.

I will never understand the problem with looking for a better job.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant. -- The Doctor

This week: -4 lb. Total: -60 pounds

Offline JoelHammond

• Smiley!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 07:15:44 AM »
Maybe you're right IJAG, and he does. But to me -- and I hope this doesn't piss him off -- this strikes me as a spnited-type "New York City is the only place in the world, and this MUST be what's going on, because why would anyone want to live in Cleveland?!?!?!"

Weak. And Moddy, maybe you're right too, but this doesn't strike me at all as ribbing an old buddy. Why the hell would you rib an old buddy, like that, for 200K (guessing, after the already-moving Twitter thing does its magic) to read?

Offline imjustagirl

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 07:20:08 AM »
Joel: It's in the eye of the beholder. I'd rather work for an NY paper than the PD or Beacon Journal. But I like New York. I don't think there's anything wrong with Cleveland, but there's more money, more prestige, etc. with covering a beat at an NY paper.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant. -- The Doctor

Offline Moderator1

• SJ Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 07:24:11 AM »
I don't think his point was working in NY per se, or moving to a better job. I think he was trying to say the guy is ready to jump to NY to continue being LeBron's bitch.  He'd move to Fargo to keep that up, is what I took from it.
But I could be way off. I'm still trying to figure out the guy's exact point or reason for writing it or where the SE or person in charge was when this was being posted.
How many papers are requiring a pre-posting reading of blogs and how many are just letting writers post away?
Go out of your way to make good memories. At some point, these memories may be all you have left. May God bless you all.

"Some people are so busy learning the tricks of the trade, they never learn the trade. - Vernon Law

www.washingtontimes.com

Help my darling daughter:  bit.ly/19d4njb

Offline Football_Bat

• Reflektor
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 07:45:07 AM »
"[F_B] has a larger-paper sophistication that translates nicely in a smaller market. His topic selection was mature, his writing quick and unlittered." Bill Dwyre, L.A. Times
___

Proud member of Knights of the Vagina & The Moddy Hall of Fame :)
__

"The square root of 69 is 8-something." Drizzy

Offline JoelHammond

• Smiley!
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 07:58:47 AM »
From a good -- like, impeccable, no-doubt-about-it -- source: Brian hates NYC more than anything.

But Moddy, I get your point, and I took away the same thing from the piece. I read Windhorst's coverage daily, and while I think LBJ deserves more criticism than he gets, Windhorst is hardly reluctant to criticize him.

Offline imjustagirl

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 08:19:23 AM »
Not doubting anything you said, Junkie. I've heard nothing but good about Windhorst, and I've heard nothing about Isola.

Offline Azrael

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 08:28:43 AM »
I've never heard of either.

Offline spnited

• "We are not the story. We are the story tellers."
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 08:30:10 AM »
Maybe you're right IJAG, and he does. But to me -- and I hope this doesn't piss him off -- this strikes me as a spnited-type "New York City is the only place in the world, and this MUST be what's going on, because why would anyone want to live in Cleveland?!?!?!"

Weak. And Moddy, maybe you're right too, but this doesn't strike me at all as ribbing an old buddy. Why the hell would you rib an old buddy, like that, for 200K (guessing, after the already-moving Twitter thing does its magic) to read?

Don't put words in my mouth, jackass.
You want to live in Cleveland? Fine, I couldn't care less.

I'm looking forward to a few days in Cleveland in July but I sure as hell DON'T want to live there because I'm very happy where I am.

Offline Joe Williams

• 8/2/30, age 44: 12IP, 1H, 27K vs. KC
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 08:34:59 AM »
A little NY-centric to be believed, and awfully snarky at that.

I think more writers these days are trying to land Internet gigs than newspaper jobs, with the option of staying where they are or living where they want. More likely Windhorst would be looking for an ESPN.com [ESPNCleveland.com?] or AOL Fanhouse job.
Ty Cobb, never a friend to the black player, said Williams would have been a "sure 30-game winner" if he had played in the majors.

Offline JoelHammond

• Smiley!
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 08:35:31 AM »
Spnited, you're right, I shouldn't have used your name. I should have stuck with the general "Anywhere but NYC sucks, it's flyover country, who the hell cares about the Cavs, etc. etc. etc. etc." attitude of anyone who lives in the area.

Which, of course, includes you. But I shouldn't have mentioned you by name.

Forgive me.

Offline spnited

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 08:39:14 AM »
Spnited, you're right, I shouldn't have used your name. I should have stuck with the general "Anywhere but NYC sucks, it's flyover country, who the hell cares about the Cavs, etc. etc. etc. etc." attitude of anyone who lives in the area.

Which, of course, includes you. But I shouldn't have mentioned you by name.

Forgive me.

Except, as usual with broad generalizations, that "attitude" does not exist. It's more your anti-NYC bias than me or anybody else thinking anywhere but NYC sucks.

I have nothing against Cleveland or anywhere else. I just want to live where I want to live ... and I sure as hell don't want Junkie living near me.  :D ;)

Offline spnited

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 08:43:42 AM »
Well, good. I don't have to worry about keeping my eye out for you when the neighbors' house goes up for sale!

So your neighbors' house is for sale? Guess they agree with me.

Offline TheSportsPredictor

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 09:06:59 AM »
Isn't the NYDN where that guy works who Omar Minaya ripped and said he kept asking for a job with the Mets?

Offline wicked

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 10:25:26 AM »
Isn't the NYDN where that guy works who Omar Minaya ripped and said he kept asking for a job with the Mets?

Yes, but Adam Rubin has since left for ESPNNewYork.com. I think Isola is also the guy who claimed he got frozen out by Isiah and the Dolans, although I could be misremembering it.

Very classy response by Windhorst. Those calm guys from flyover country ...  :D

Offline Cousin Jeffrey

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 10:56:17 AM »
Isola's coverage is funny and cutting so imagine this was done with
more than a bit of snark. If windhorst goes anywhere it will be a national job. Great guy.

Offline dooley_womack1

• Just as good a spring
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 12:53:36 PM »
Paid journalists spending time on this crap, with all the possible actual news they could work on breaking? Sometimes makes me glad I have more days behind me than ahead of me
"If she has a shiny fleur-de-lis on her ass, you may not even have to buy her dinner."--Freqposter

I'm a sinner, I'm a saint, I do not feel ashamed.

"Bubbler: 'Dick Whitman: Stop Reading Slate' "--Bubbler

Offline Cousin Jeffrey

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2010, 01:50:50 PM »
Isola denied he meant any harm, which is kinda obvious when you read the blog in its entirety.

Offline fisola

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2010, 12:15:29 PM »

Folks, I was having some fun at Brian's expense. He was aware of this late Saturday night. He has taken some good shots at the N.Y. media and I was going back at him. He's in on the joke. We are friends. He's been to my house. We've gone out to dinner together. We laughed at all the hate mail I received from people in Cleveland but are also surprised by how many people in the serious world of sports writing felt I was attacking Brian.
 I'm born and raised in New York but I don't think that I am superior to anyone or that I have a better job. I could care less where LeBron ends up although I must admit my workload would increase if he came to New York which is something I'm not looking forward to. I am, however, looking forward to going to Italy in October with the Knicks. If LeBron makes the trip, I'll be sure to send Brian a postcard.

Now, rip away

Frank Isola