1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 World Series thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I just don't think KC's defense or pitchers going to shit themselves like the Nats or Cardinals. KC is doing exactly what it needs to do.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Boy, I don't know how they're going to solve that bullpen.

Think we might see Bumgarner for Game 4.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, they've followed the script perfectly so far. Now let's see if Holland can bring it home.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Interestingly enough, this is only the 2nd time the Royals have ever had the series lead in a World Series.

The other was after they won Game 7 in 1985.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Goddamnit. I think I'm ready to redefine #Yosted. Two more.

6. LongTimeListener

I look for the Giants to get Morse back in the lineup -- which could be at a heavy price in LF, but they have to score early.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Those were some very, very quiet outs in the eighth and ninth innings.

8. LongTimeListener

Bochy says Vogelsong pitching tomorrow and Bumgarner staying for Game 5.

Also -- Herrera has thrown a total of 59 pitches in his two appearances, spanning three days. Figure KC is going to have to live without him for one of the next two games at least, and he was pretty shaky with control. So there's that. (Hey, I'm looking for anything.)

9. LongTimeListener

And possibly the Ned Yostiest quote of all time, on Herrera batting in the seventh inning: "I was hoping (Dyson) would make an out there, but he steps up and foils my plan and gets a hit."

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I did wonder if Bochy would pitch Bumgarner tomorrow night in Game 4. If nothing else, would that have screwed with Yost and the rotation? Part of me now just wants Shields to pitch opposite Bumgarner in any and all games (unless it's Game 7) and wave the white flag. If Shields, unexpectedly, throws the game of his life and beats Bumgarner in a 2-1 duel, great, but save the better performances for when Bumgarner is not starting.

If the Royals win this series, Jeremy Guthrie will hold a special place in Kansas City forever just from tonight. The guy goes out here, at age 35, and throws, really, the game of his career -- at least the first five innings. I was in strong favor of him throwing a sixth but, once the Royals brought across two runs to make it 3-0, I was wondering if his arm would be getting cold.

Does the current mythology of the HDH bullpen alter how San Francisco's hitters approach those middle innings? If you're down a run in the 4th, do you start gripping a little more because of what is coming in the 6th? This is a fairly new approach to a bullpen.

Whatever it is, the dream season continues for me...

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The problem for Bochy is he can't throw Bumgarner in Games 4 and 5. He has to throw Vogey at some point and risk going down 3-2 either way. I just don't know which Vogelsong we're going to see in Game 4: The guy who beat the Tigers by just looking at them or the guy who allowed the Cardinals to build up some steam in the NLCS after having an off year this year?

If the Giants can some how string together a win tomorrow and destroy Shields in Game 5, San Francisco will probably win in 7 (I don't trust Peavy right now). If the Giants lose tomorrow, Royals in 6.

Draft saved Draft deleted