1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 World Series thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Correct.

Major leaguers frequently watch the ball when running the bases instead of picking up the coach. They also frequently don't run out routine ground balls, though I think this is at least somewhat purposeful - the chances of an injury on such a stop-to-sprint dash probably outweigh the odds that the player will be safe at first due to the effort.

On the other hand, players infrequently make a poor cutoff throw, given time to set, which Crawford had.

2. Dick Whitman

Brandon Crawford had 428 assists this year, including seven on relay throws. He threw two runners out at home plate.

He had nine throwing errors this year.

That means that 97.9 percent of the time, Crawford did not make an error on a throw.

3. Dick Whitman

Every person here would have thrown Gordon out at home. And easily.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't know about that. One of the things I find especially admirable about major-league baseball players is the ability to do the routine things so reliably even in decidedly non-routine circumstances. Spot me a one-shot lead at Augusta National and put me on No. 18 in regulation, I still might hit someone in the gallery with my putt. But the point is well-taken. To a major-leaguer, sending Gordon is a gift.

OOP's characterization of sending the runner as a bad bet is spot-on, though. Let's generously give Gordon a half a percent chance of making it safely. Surely Perez's chances of a base hit were much greater than that.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There's a difference between making a non-optimal choice and physically failing a routine play.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

:)

Draft saved Draft deleted