1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 World Series thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What does everyone think of having a separate World Series thread that starts today? Or should we confine it to the 2014 thread?

Just an idea.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Better this way.

'85, Game 6, 9th inning.

"Cardinals 3 outs away from giving Whitey Herzog a second world championship in four seasons. And time is called ... "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iL_W9MucEk

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Ball's in Worrell's glove.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

My two favorite teams.

The Giants are my team. But as a kid, I hated the A's so much that I became a huge Royals fan. George Brett was my favorite player as a kid. The 1985 World Series was one of my favorite sports memories of my life.

I'm guessing 99 percent of people who aren't from Northern California are rooting for the Royals and I don't blame them for a second. I will not be upset at all if the Royals win.

Go Giants!

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Good call.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Madison Bumgarner is working on a World Series streak of 15 scoreless innings.

The record is 33 2/3 innings by Whitey Ford. So Bumgarner should get there by Game 1 of the 2016 Series.

--I wouldn't even mind if the Royals won. It would be that cool. But I think the Giants have a very large pitching advantage in Games 1 and 5, and they have a deeper bullpen although the Royals' last three guys are much better. I say the Series goes back to Kansas City but the Giants win in six.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Safe, safe, safe.
    :)

8. Dick Whitman

Assuming a Giants win, they would have to be the absolute most nondescript dynasty in sports history, no?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Wait. Now we're TOO sexy?

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Rooting for KC to sweep and go 12-0.

But if they lose one, I am switching over to SF in 6.

11. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

The Royals remind me of another compilation of under-achievers to reach the World Series: 1988 Los Angeles Dodgers.

C Mike Scioscia - 81 OPS+ but his contribution was clearly behind the plate, framing pitches and handling the pitching staff, has gone on to be a top-tier manager.
    1b Franklin Stubbs - 92 OPS+ and -0.6 dWAR
    2b Steve Sax - 94 OPS+, swiped 42 bases, was the team's spark plug
    3b Jeff Hamilton - 79 OPS+, dreadful defensive third baseman
    SS Alfredo Griffin - 50 OPS+, on the bright side he was not clearly the worst defensive SS in the game
    Lf Kirk Gibson - 148 OPS+ NL MVP, hobbled heart of the franchise
    Cf John Shelby - didn't hit for average or power, didn't steal many bases, was never confused for a gold glove center fielder
    Rf Mike Marshall - 118 OPS+, had extra-base power in his bat

Bench: Some players made valuable contributions like then 38-year-old catcher Rick Dempsey, who provided power off the bench. Mickey Hatcher filled in all over the diamond and almost hit .300. Pedro Guerrero was by far the team's best hitter, right until 16 August when he was traded for southpaw John Tudor.

And the starting pitching staff had some names (Tudor, Sutton, Valenzuela) but only one true ace NL Cy Young Orel Hershiser. But look at the bullpen and you start to see some similarities.

Alejandro Pena: 94.1 IP, 1.91 ERA, 12 SV
    Brian Holton: 84.2 IP, 1.70 ERA
    Jesse Orrosco, 53 IP, 2.72 ERA, 9 SV
    Jay Howell: 65 IP, 2.08 ERA, 21 SV

As an aside, then super prospect, 20-year-old, Ramon Martinez, was left off the WS roster. Ramon split time between the majors and minors. As an Albuquerque Duke, Ramon posted a 2.76 ERA, went 5-2 and K'd 49 in 58 IP, fairly impressive for a guy pitching in Triple-A and over six years younger than his average competitor. Meanwhile, his little brother, 18-year-old Pedro, pitched his first professional ball for the Great Falls Dodgers of the Pioneer League going 8-3 and fanning 82 in 77 innings.

If the Royals win the World Series, and I hope they do, they'll be the worst collection of players to do since the '88 Dodgers. But ... what makes a team? Try calculating that with WAR.

12. Dick Whitman

The Royals are good because they have bad players? I'm confused.

Draft saved Draft deleted