1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 World Series thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 21, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The subhead is /// World Series 2014: Baseball Is No Longer the Center of Attention in a New Landscape

Way to get on it, New York Times. You've discovered a change that definitely only became evident in 2014.

It's like Gee wrote that earlier posted article specifically to counteract the coming New York Times story. And Gee did the job in that regard.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I was particularly flabbergasted by the late breaking news that a national team that plays once every four years outdrew Games 1 and 2 of the World Series. Cold chill ran through me.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Royals lineup tonight:

Escobar
    Gordon
    Cain (in right)
    Hosmer
    Moustakas
    Infante
    Perez
    Dyson (in center)
    Guthrie

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I like it.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Wow they don't think Aoki can cover that space in right. I was hoping they'd find that out the hard way.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Hosmer & Moustakas back-to-back is screaming for Lopez and/or Affeldt in the middle innings.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Could a "moment" be more scripted?

Ugh.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

One more inning and this will be as good as over. Who would have guessed Game 3 would be the best pitched?

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I assume you mean the Stand Up 2 Cancer thing? Yeah, that was pretty much vomit inducing.

I don't know if it's because of my new line of work in PR, but all these causes and salutes and "moments" really don't do anything but make me roll my eyes anymore. They're so contrived.

Sometimes, the PR machine gets it right and just nails a tribute, but, man, more of them end up like that wretched attempt at poignance than those that truly hit home.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Not tonight. Not this game. SF pen will have to be better than KC pen if they want this one.

11. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

This is the kind of game the Giants have found a way to tie up all playoffs long.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

nice idea by blanco, but kind of showing not much confidence in hitting Davis. OOP did point that out a while ago, Davis is nasty. I think Bettances can be the same for the Yanks, but this year Davis has been the best 8th inning guy. Bettances was called on for more multi-inning appearances since the others in the Yankees' pen aren't as good as those in KC's. But Davis has f'n nasty stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted