1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP reporter tweets Raiders coach fired, except he wasn't

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 29, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It may be correct. It also was and is unclear. Xan, did you get an answer to the question of whether it was any winner-take-all game or just a play-in game?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

No. I just tweeted @MLB to ask.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Either way, it's a meaningless distinction.

I don't think "First Catcher With a Walk-Off Hit in a Postseason Game" is making it onto Perez's Hall of Fame plaque.

4. MisterCreosote

So, at best it's a mildly interesting bit of imprecise information. At worst, it's a completely irrelevant waste of cyberspace.

Awesome.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What's unclear about it?

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

'

I don't know about the average person, but I'm on it constantly, and when news breaks, I go to it immediately. If you are still in journalism and you're not using Twitter - at the very least, as a news source - you're behind.

7. MisterCreosote

I'm not a journalist anymore. I'm a consumer of news who doesn't have faith in Twitter to deliver factually accurate and unbiased news. The only thing I trust Twitter to do is deliver "news" quickly or by someone with an agenda, and I think we can all agree on the dangers inherent in doing that.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Depends on who you're getting the news from on Twitter. The delivery of news quickly or by someone with an agenda happens everywhere; not just Twitter.

9. MisterCreosote

Right. I should rephrase to say the media's emphasis on Twitter is one of the main reasons I don't trust many reporters to deliver news that's accurate and unbiased.

10. JackReacher

So how do you consume the news? Which reporters/media companies/whatever do you trust?

11. MisterCreosote

Mostly legacy news outlets. The Washington Post. I'll read Deadspin from time to time. I decide whether to trust on an individual basis - I'll click on a link and if the story delivers, great. If not, move on. But I have no real desire to comb through all of the bullshit on Twitter to find it when I could just go directly to the websites I trust.

I should also add that I've seen enough journalists fuck things up in the rush to be FIRST! that I usually don't read much about big events until at least 12 hours later, if not more.

I don't really seek out any sports news to consume anymore, nor do I trust any political reporting of any kind.

12. JackReacher

That's the thing with Twitter. You can mold it into whatever you want. You don't have to "comb through all the bullshit." You control who gives you news. And you get it all in one spot. You don't have to go to each individual site.

All of which you already knew.

Draft saved Draft deleted