1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today's bizarre high school football score

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 20, 2014.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well ... I think this might be the exception to the rule. It's not about the competition itself, per se; it's more a human-interest story.

2. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

A self/team created human-interest.

No where did it mention the other team didn't have enough players to finish. Just no one who had played/could play quarterback.

And the referees let someone with a different jersey (therefore matching the opponent) play QB for a half?

Not to mention, in many states, this would/could never happen because it's illegal (because kids must go to the schools they play for). Kentucky won't allow it, and the offending school would have to forfeit (it was already losing) and get fined. Much rather play a non-QB under center for a half than take a forfeit or fine.

You don't let teams borrow kickers (even though some don't have them) or fill out weight classes in wrestling tournaments or join your relays in swimming or pole vault for you in track.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Got an eight-man call-in last night that seemed a bit odd. It was 62-28.
    At the end of the first quarter.
    The teams just kept trading long, quick touchdowns on the first or second play of every possession. Winning team returned two kickoffs for touchdowns, and the losing team had a couple of one-play drives. They combined for 11 touchdowns, including four in the first minute and a half.
    Our local team does a running play-by-play online, and I was looking at it for a good five minutes in disbelief, trying to make sure it was right. The coach texted me the score and I asked if it was, and he confirmed it with "longest quarter of my life."

Almost as amazing, the final score only ended up being 82-36. I guess both teams were worn out by the second quarter.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Did we miss this one from last week? Higley (Arizona) 95, Apache Junction 75.

http://www.aia365.com/articles/4683/no-joke-teams-score-170-combined-points

5. jr/shotglass

Had a team trail 41-39 with one minute left last night, score 20 points in the final minute for a 59-41 win.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Lemme guess: scored a TD with 1:00 to play to take 46-41 lead, kicked off, pick 6, 53-41, repeat on next series (making 2/3 PATs for the final).

7. jr/shotglass

Close.

50-yard TD run with 0:59 left. Other team actually drives for a few plays before kid does a pick-six from midfield with 14 seconds left. And the other team tries the lateral thing on the ensuing kickoff, fumble is recovered by the winners and taken in for six.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Someday I want to see a team running the lateralooski kickoff return where you're just hurling it around, stand up and try to heave it 50 yards all the way across the field, and some dude cuts in front and takes it to the house. (I have seen kids in HS games throw it 30 yards across the field).

:D :D :D

9. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Columbian High in Tiffin, Ohio, beat league foe Shelby 83-82 Friday in overtime. One overtime.
    Regulation ended with the teams tied at 75.
    Winning team's running back ran for 516 yards and nine scores, and had a kickoff return for a TD. He also ran in the game-winning conversion in OT.
    Winning team led by 22 at halftime, and the losing team led only twice — 6-0 less than two minutes into the first quarter, and 82-75 in overtime.
    This was 11-man football and, no, neither team was scraping the bottom of the barrel for players.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Got a couple of you tonight from the great state of Kansas.

Chetopa (ranked No. 1 in Eight-Man Division II) 96, Elk Valley 0
    Chetopa ran 13 plays the entire game. Since 96 divides by 8 with no remainder, I'm assuming that means there was just one play the entire game when they didn't score, conversion attempts included.

Or, in the 11-man division, specifically, Class 3A:
    Rossville 91, Osage City 22
    Rossville had at least 70 points by halftime.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Speaking of eight-man football, it has really done a number on the quality of play in our state's private school association Class A ranks. Eight-man has leeched off about half the 11-man teams in the last 5-6 years, to where there's only 21 teams in the 11-man league now. It's forced a lot of smaller schools to fill out their schedules with larger schools they have no business playing.
    For some reason, though, the association still went with a 16-team playoff bracket.
    So, in a 16-team bracket, there are exactly eight with winning records, and most of those are right around 6-4. A bunch of two-win teams are in, including our local squad that went two months without winning a game. The coach thought they were long done. I told him last week it was looking like a good bet they'd make it, and he was kind of pissed because it's been such a miserable season most everyone just wants it to end, including him. Instead, they have to drive two hours to probably get their ass beat by a team that already beat them by 40 this season.
    Fun times, man. Fun times.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A team in our local 5A district dropped 75 last night. Their QB is a junior who is leaning toward Climpson.

Draft saved Draft deleted