1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today's bizarre high school football score

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Kansas 8-man

Fairfield 102
    Norwich 56

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I covered a 6-man school in New Mexico that lost 101-76 in the title game.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

On the other end of that, i covered a high school football game earlier this year that ended 8-7, team won on a last second missed field goal, good bless Canadian football and the rouge.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Game I had last night had all the potential for a goofy score. Team A scored on 3rd play from scrimmage, Team B scored on 1st play from scrimmage, Team A ran the kickoff back. 3 TD in first 1:30

Both teams settled down, ended 50-38.

5. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

The team I cover has won its first four games 38-17, 38-7, 38-7 and 38-12.

The team had five passing TDs in the first game, five rushing TDs in the second, four rushing and one passing in the third and one rushing and four passing in the fourth.

6. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Local team I covered last night won 63-6. Ran just 14 total plays, but for 522 yards. Had only two plays go for LESS than 21 yards.

Also didn't run a single offensive play in the third quarter. Losing team got the kickoff to start the second half and had a 17-play drive lasting almost 13 minutes.

After losing team scored, local team ran just two plays ... 21-yard run and 43-yard TD run.

Kentucky plays 12-minute quarters and has running clock once a team has a 36-point lead. Running clock can begin in first quarter. Also point of no return, so even if losing team pulls off improbably comeback (haven't seen it yet), clock still runs.

Hearing state association will drop running clock (football, basketball) in favor of a "flat 50." No running clock ever, but once lead reaches 50 in basketball or football, game is over.

With soccer having 10-goal rule and baseball/softball having mercy rules for decades, could be time for football and basketball to follow suit.

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Here's one for you:

Pearl (Miss.) defeated Bastrop (La.) 69-54 last night. Jordan Wright for Pearl ran 43 times for 409 yards and scored nine touchdowns.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Glory days.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Frankly, I'd rather have the running clock. Fifty-point games are rare. Thirty-five point leads at halftime, when it's obvious there's no chance in hell of a comeback, are far more common.
    Game I covered Friday was 35-0 at halftime and wound up 56-14. I think the biggest lead was 42 points, but they ran the clock the entire second half and I walked out of the stadium at 9 p.m.
    It was kind of funny, too, when I asked the side judge about the running clock right before halftime. He said, "Well, the coaches have to agree to it, but we can suggest it. And we are going to suggest it."

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Colorado 11-man on Friday night.

Sand Creek 68, Air Academy 62

Sand Creek running back Daniel Quin: 64 carries for 553 yards.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Covered a game once in Florida, which had a 35-point running clock rule -- optional in the third, mandatory in the fourth. 28-0 after one, home team adds another TD in the second quarter ... but has the PAT blocked. And then puts in the JV. 34-6 final.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Just saw the box score of the 102-56 game the other night.......It was 76-50 at the half.

Sumamabitch.

Draft saved Draft deleted