1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time Magazine Cover Story: Is Football Worth It?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 18, 2014.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I agree with the final point, and anything that hits you in the head from close range can cause a concussion, but I think F_B meant that properly heading a soccer ball doesn't cause a concussion, which is what this report says.

Yes, it is absurd. I AM surprised pitchers aren't wearing protective headgear at this point, but I am more surprised that no NFL player has died on the field. The force of the hits is absurd. I wouldn't want Randy Johnson to hit me in the face, but I'd rather have him hit me in the arm or buttocks than get tackled full speed by Ray Lewis.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not surprising, but certainly relevant to this story. The post-mortem testing of Jovan Belcher showed that he was suffering from brain damage when he murdered his girlfriend, then killed himself in 2012.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article2296030.html

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yet another alarming development for the NFL.

Whaddya have to say about that, Goodell?

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sure I put a quarterback with a concussion back in for a play, but don't you dare question my integrity or character:

5. outofplace

Hoke endangered the health of his quarterback, either through ignorance or willful negligence. That he actually has the nerve to go on the attack due to the criticism is another sign that Michigan should move on from him as quickly as possible.

You don't take the kid's word for it when he says the ankle is why he is wobbly. You get him out of the game and test him for a concussion. This is not something to mess around with and any coach worth a damn on any level should know that.

6. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Some red flags from Hoke's statement Sunday. . .

Yeah, but you did just have him get hit helmet-to-helmet, need a teammate's help to get to his feet and look woozy when he got up. You have to assume there might be a concussion and pull him off the field until you determine he doesn't.

Really? Shane Morris calls the shots in Ann Arbor? Ladies and gentlemen, Brady Hoke proudly standing up and saying in no uncertain terms 'the buck stops. . . .elsewhere.'

Plus, after they put Gardner in and he gets his helmet knocked off, they put Morris BACK in the game for the one play Gardner had to sit. They wanted the third-stringer in there but he didn't have a helmet that fit (how a major college football program would send a player out of the locker room without a helmet that fits his head, I have no idea). But even with Gardner needing to sit for one play and the third-stringer not ready, just direct snap it to the RB for one play, or run something out of wildcat. DO NOT put the guy back in who most likely had a concussion.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's blowing up even more: the U-M athletic department had announced Sunday night a medical report on Morris 'condition would be released Monday.

No report. Plenty of conjecture of who they're getting to write this report, and what's gonna be in it. (Or not.)

8. Starman

U-M releases statement at 0045 a.m., basically the predictable buck-passing and ass-scrubbing.

Morris has high ankle sprain and "possible mild concussion. "
    Flaws noted in the communication and decision -making process on the football sideline.

Gee whiz, who's supposed to be in charge of that?

9. outofplace

Possible mild concussion? Bullshit. If they aren't sure, they should still be doing tests. If they still can't rule it out two days later, doesn't that mean Morris has at least some symptom of a concussion? If that is the case, there is no way Morris should have returned to the game Saturday. Michigan just won't admit it unless the university is ready to discipline Hoke.

10. Starman

They get into a load of alibi-spinning bullshit involving the exact location of the neurologists on the sideline; apparently they were oit of position to give Hoke input on Morris' conditio Again, Hoke, standing some 30-40 yards away on the sideline, is unable to see Morris staggering around with his own eyes.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

From the video I've seen,the first person that Morris spoke with as he stumbled off the field was Hoke.
    At that point Hoke should have personally marched Morris over to a trainer and told them to hide
    his helmet.

Reminds me a lot of the Harrison hit on Colt McCoy

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Joe Namath has a 10 am presser at the Hyatt to discuss his brain damage....

http://nypost.com/2014/01/31/broadway-joe-namath-i-have-brain-damage/

Draft saved Draft deleted