1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time Magazine Cover Story: Is Football Worth It?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 18, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That isn't a reason the pro game is safer. That's a reason it's more dangerous.

Those huge, fast, strong bodies are housing the same brains they always did, and when they collide, the brain slams against the skull with greater force. No equipment prevents that.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

All you need to do is look at the health issues faced by retirees to understand the physical risks of playing professional football.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Baseball is more dangerous than football?

How many pitches are thrown a year and how many hitters actually get hit in the face? Or how many pitchers actually take a line drive to the head? Sure it happens but the chances are minuscule at best.

It's so dangerous that they play almost everyday, take a look at retired ball player and take a look at a retired football player. You tell me who is fairing better. It's a ludicrous statement.

4. joe

joe Active Member

I covered Sacred Heart long before it had a football team, and I have long-distant relatives on my mom's side who gave Tipton its name. I don't know how I didn't hear about this kid dying before now.

I agree with those who think an on-field death in the NFL is an eventuality. It's crazy how big players are today, pro and college.

I saw ESPN Classic the other day in a restaurant, and they were showing No. 1 Notre Dame against No. 2 Michigan, and my god, the players were so much smaller then than they are today. It looked like a totally different game than college players are playing today.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A kicked soccer ball most certainly can cause a concussion:

And, we don't know the cumulative effect of many sub-concussive blows to the brain.

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

You can't possibly believe that. We haven't even begun to see the effects of widespread use yet.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There's little doubt in my mind that many of the risks are overstated.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There have been TONS of NASCAR drivers who died as a result of injuries sustained in competition.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

When Time makes a pronouncement they're usually wrong -- or late. Like when it annointed David Byrne as the new King of All Auteurs for his execrable True Stories, or their fear-mongering cover story on herpes, just as the AIDS epidemic took hold.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

A University of Georgia player named Von Gammon died in 1897 from head injuries sustained in a game against Virginia. Wasn't on the field according to what I read, but here's the interesting thing: the Georgia legislature passed a bill banning football, but Gammon's mother convinced the governor at the time, William Yates Atkinson, to veto the bill.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The NFL has had at least two players die of heart attacks after games, Stan Mauldin of the Cardinals in 1948 and Dave Sparks of the Redskins in 1954.

In the AFL, Howard Glenn of the New York Titans collapsed in the shower after a game in 1960 and died. It was later discovered that he had been playing with a broken neck. Obviously, times were different back then.

12. ryanb

ryanb Member

This is exactly right. In many cases, the ban is not in place due to known side effects. It is there because the drugs have not been tested enough yet. Perhaps they will be proven safe in time, but that has not happened yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted