1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL and NL MVPs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 24, 2014.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's tony in fanboy mode, so no argument is too ridiculous for him to throw against the wall.

2. outofplace

Actually, not everybody agrees on that, though I don't think either will win it. This side discussion began when Lucroy's name was brought up for MVP even though he isn't even the MVP of his own team.

3. outofplace

So making the defense make a play matters, but the impact of Gomez's speed on the bases is irrelevant. Welcome to tony's world, folks.

Of course, this is the guy who thinks the Brewers are actually better off without Gomez, so nothing should surprise us.

4. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Oakland as a team has 68 more assists at 3B than the average team in the AL, 23 more putouts and 5 more errors. Are you suggesting that those extra 91 outs are worth less than the 5 errors? Would you trade one less error for giving up 18 more hits?

"The problem with arguing based on anecdotal evidence is that anecdotal evidence is not necessarily typical; only statistical evidence can determine how typical something is." And this is obviously not typical.

Last I looked all the teams in the AL were using shifts. In 2013, the A's used it a whopping 38 times more than the average. This year, the A's weren't even among the top 5 in the AL.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11060210/defensive-shift-used-all-mlb-teams-espn-magazine

Also, Donaldson's being compared to other 3B who are being shifted as well. Maybe he's just better?

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I am willing to bet ... the stakes are this: Loser does not post here for a month.

The bet is that Lucroy finishes higher in MVP voting than Gomez.

I'll also bet another month that Lucroy finishes ahead of Gomez as the Brewers' player of the year.

Got any guts, OOPsie, or are you just all bluster again?

6. outofplace

Why do something like that when you've proven that you like running away and hiding when things don't go your way? Forget guts. That would just be stupid. You wouldn't be losing anything if you lose the bet.

Also, I'm not arguing who will finish higher in the voting. I'm arguing who should finish higher. Those are not the same thing.

Add to that, Gomez is currently out with a wrist injury, the extent of which has not yet been determined. Easy for you to suggest such a bet when Gomez's health is in question.

Typical tony. Your idiotic arguments fail, so you toss some other ridiculous crap against the wall.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Colt Brennan loves this bet.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I feel pretty confident saying a player who leads the league in errors is not playing defense at a level that by itself would vault him into MVP contention. (This opinion is not endorsed by the chemistry/genentics/exercise science field.)

This is even dumber than the Gomez/Lucroy shenanigans.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is like choosing between gonorreah and chlamydia.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What about the Drip?

11. outofplace

At least you don't have to worry about that decision. You'd have to find somebody willing to have sex with you first.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Choose between left and right hands.

Draft saved Draft deleted