1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL and NL MVPs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 24, 2014.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The rules say pitchers should be given consideration. They do not require that pitchers win the award. Also, please note in the rules that you quoted, the number of games played is listed as one of the criteria for the MVP Award. That one certainly hurts starting pitchers.

2. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I didn't say pitchers are required to win the award. What I find silly is when voters say they will NEVER vote for a pitcher. Using rule 2 as a justification for never voting for a pitcher is nonsense. That is violating the voting rules. And historically the voters have given strong consideration to pitchers. Carl Hubbell is a 2-time MVP for example.

3. outofplace

I'm not defending voters who refuse to consider a pitcher. I am saying Rule 2 very good justification for considering a pitcher, then choosing somebody else.

4. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I agree with this.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Pitchers have won the MVP before. They will so so again, and I'll be thunderstruck if Kershaw doesn't win this year.

6. outofplace

Hey, the cryptic Penn State apologist put me in is sig! Cool!

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

The rules also say the MVP need not come from a division winner or playoff qualifier, but most voters ignore that.

8. outofplace

Just because they favor players whose teams make the playoffs does not mean they are ignoring the rules.

Draft saved Draft deleted