1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL and NL MVPs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Time to start discussing.

Right now I'd go Kershaw and Trout, if he can pull out of this tailspin. Maybe Nelson Cruz. Maybe Jose Abreu. Jose Altuve. Felix. Cano. Lots of guys in the A.L. In a virtual dead heat.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I've heard Lucroy's name mentioned several times since early June, even if he doesn't have bombastic numbers. Remember, McCutchen didn't have crazy offensive numbers, either.

And, until the plunking, folks touted Cutch's '14 season being better than his MVP season.

The Nats could end up with the best record but who has gone above and beyond for them?

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I feel Trout should not be the MVP as long as he has a lower WAR than Alex Gordon. Fair is fair.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Josh Donaldson too.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I might look at Carlos Gomez ahead of Lucroy for the Brewers. He is a better hitter and a fantastic defensive center fielder. McCutchen also deserves to be in the NL conversation.

Trout's overall numbers are hard to argue with in the AL.

6. joe

joe Active Member

No Giancarlo Stanton?

Back of card numbers: .299, 32, 92.

Sabr numbers: .405 OBP, .565 slugging, .970 OPS, 166 OPS+

7. outofplace

He's having a great season, but I think some are forgetting him because the Marlins are so forgettable.

8. Songbird

The Marlins are just 2.5 out of the second wild card. IF they make the playoffs the Giancarlo drumbeat will get louder.

9. outofplace

If they make the playoffs, Stanton should be the clear favorite.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Lucroy has been much better than Gomez. He's going to be the first catcher to lead the NL in doubles in forever. Much more reliable, and an excellent defensive catcher.

11. outofplace

Not sure how you can say Lucroy has been "much" better, unless you want to overvalue batting average. They are comparable in OPS, but Gomez has better power numbers and he is an impact player on the bases, something Lucroy does not provide.

If you want to give it to Lucroy based on being a catcher, fine, but offensively, Gomez is clearly better and he's a hell of a defensive outfielder. Not sure either is the MVP, though.

12. Songbird

Power numbers are pretty much the same when added up.

Lucroy has 13 homers, 2 triples, 42 doubles -- 142 total bases on those hits
    Gomez has 21 homers, 4 triples, 28 doubles -- 152 total bases on those hits

Draft saved Draft deleted