1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zoning

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jun 29, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

If your coverage area is spread-out enough that zoning makes sense, fine ... if you have the manpower to do it right.

But if you have limited resources, you're never going to be able to pull off more than a half-assed effort. That's the problem many mid-size papers have. They set up a plan to cover all these areas through zoning ... and then they have to make do with three fewer reporters. Which means fringe areas get skipped over for some stories. Or hard decisions have to be made on what to cover in your main areas, so something else gets left out. And so on.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And another thing about zoning:

Zoning fails because readers in County Seat A don't give a shit about Rural Town B 10 miles away, while Town B's readers don't care about Fringe Town C.

In these days of limited resources, sometimes you have no choice but to put a story about County Seat A in Town B's zone. Or because of early deadlines, you have no choice but to put a story about Town B in Fringe Town C's zone. So readers in both areas are getting stories they don't care about.

There are very few papers right now that can pull off zoning well enough to satisfy a majority of their readers. Considering that, it's a flawed concept.

Too bad, because it could work ... if done right.

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

That's what I've always thought, and I'm surprised that so many people here are against it. To me, if you're replacing content that people don't want to read with content that people may be interested in, it's a no-brainer. Of course, the resources are again necessary to pull it off, and we don't often have that.

Draft saved Draft deleted