1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zidane, too?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Idaho, Feb 8, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I was in junior high, dickead! [/diehardfbiguy]

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Ding!

4. Uncle_buck

Uncle_buck Member

I literally can not believe someone suggested Zidane and Beckham were over the hill! Brett Favre? yes! David Beckham or ZZ? No way.

In a league that has some of the worst footballers in the world playing in it, a 50 year old Zidane would be better than say ooh I don't know Cobi Jones! He would show better technique than some of those players could learn in a 100 years of training.

The EPL just 5-10 years ago seemed to be heading the direction of past their prime foreigners joining the league for a payday. However there is no denying that Vialli, Ruud Gullit and Gianfranco Zola to name but a few demonstrated a technique that would leave a lasting legacy on the development of players in the EPL which now has more technically gifted players across all teams.

So to those on here calling Beckham and Zidane over the hill should stop being so narrow minded and embrace the idea that one of the most incredible footballers (zidane that is and not Beckham) to walk god's green earth might be about to play in MLS.

As long as the US marketing machine doesn't use them purely for revenue generation but for aiding the development of domestic players this sort of signing is a major coup.

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Yes, but would he teach them how to headbutt them or punch them in the balls?

6. Uncle_buck

Uncle_buck Member

Probably in the same way that Ron Artest and Ben Wallace could teach Carmelo Anthony and the NBA a trick or too about brawling like a man or the Bengals could teach NFL Europe how to stay on the wrong side of the law

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Favre's not over the hill any more than Zidane is.

ZZ was the best player in the World Cup. If Favre wasn't playing with the youngest team in the league, he'd have more chances to excel, too.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

A few weeks ago, I was interviewing Tim Leiweke for a piece about the NHL and Kansas City. As we were chatting beforehand, I asked him about Beckham. He said, "We're not done yet. There's one more big one coming."

Now, I'm a bit of a soccer fan but certainly not an expert. When I asked someone else about it, the guy guessed Edgar Davitz (sp?). But I understand Davitz is now signed.

Zidane would certainly cover what Leiweke hinted.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Davids is taken, but I thought ZZ was staying in Spain. If they can get him it would be good, since he has such a brilliant mind the fact that he can run as well as he did doesn't matter.

10. Uncle_buck

Uncle_buck Member

Okay so a bad compaison. But if pedantry is your thing then go for it. My point was to the person or people who were calling ZZ over the hill was that given the dross currently plying their trade in MLS, to call him over the hill was a gross misjudgement! ZZ would grace MLS in my opinion. I would have made a comparison to contemporary MLS players who are 'has been' players but then I realised that wen you look at the squads they are never beens. So if for the benefit of MLS you or anyone else think you should continue with a 36 year old Cobi Jones who couldn't even get a game in a poor team in England's top division at his peak then good luck to you all.

Any way for what it's worth ZZ announced to the European press last week that a rumoured link up with MLS was just that.... Rumour.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Well . . . . . . . not even close.

The rules are quite different now, and fan interest is much higher overall.

EDIT: Just saw that the story was written by Jamie Trecker. Lower your hopes, MLS fans. A good rule of thumb is to assume something Trecker says is gonna happen, isn't.

12. Uncle_buck

Uncle_buck Member

So give me 5 current players from MLS who would command a starting place and perform well in any of the EPL, Primera Liga, or the Scudetto.

Draft saved Draft deleted