1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zeppelin returns, apparently triumphantly

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

No, sorry Captain. Ozzy is coming to the Metro Centre in January and Keith Urban is the big summer concert on the Commons August 30th. He is replacing the "Celine" concert.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Wow...I'd politely request Celebration Day, Bring It On Home (if Dixon's estate grants it), Tangerine, Out on the Tiles, Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid, Wearing and Tearing...then I'd like a private jet and front row seats in LA, thanks very much.

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I saw Zep at Madison Square Garden in 74 or 75; I've been a fair-to-middling fan. If it wasn't for my wife, we wouldn't have a Zep CD to replace our albums.

But I do remember they were dumped on when they first came out, for ripping off the old blues guys. Keith Richards said something like "If I want to listen to that stuff, I'll just put on the originals."

Now they're iconic.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The Keith Richards quote could also apply to the Stones as well....

5. KG

KG Active Member

I'm seeing VH in Feb., but only because a friend of mine won the tickets. Never in my life will I shell out $150.00 for concert tickets...ever.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Finally, some sanity. :)

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I couldn't imagine paying that kind of money for tickets either until I saw the Stones a while back. My wife was able to get tickets on the cheap through her work so we went. I was thinking it would be cool, but how great could it really be considering these guys are ancient.

Well they blew me away. It was by far the best live show I've ever seen and would have been worth paying full price. Still glad I didn't have to though.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

Any word if the Junior Bonham sounds 1/8 as good as daddy?

BTW- The two bands I would pay whatever amount of money to see today if they would tour....

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

With some bands, you just have to forget about the money for 2 or 3 hours....plunk it down......remember it forever.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Bonham was dumped on by about 1 percent of the crowd at the new-ish ledzeppelin.com site, with the others all lauding his effort.
    Several news shows here in Europe have shown footage and long takes of songs from the London show and it all sounds fantastic to me.
    This is history, and to see a tour would be history.
    I'd plunk downs hundreds to see a tour show and I can't wait for the DVD which should follow this reunion.
    I wouldn't miss seeing them, given the chance.
    Them and the Beatles are the 2 most influential and important rock bands of all time.
    'Course most of you probably knew that already.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've been shocked at the amount of footage showing up on European TV. You'd never see VH or any other reunion bands let TV camera film unfettered like that.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Downloaded the show, listened to it a couple times.

Jason sounds fine. The songs are all downtuned, ostensibly due to Plant's deeper voice. Metallica has done the same thing on recent tours. There were times when the speed wasn't always there, but yeah . . . they sounded good. I still like the idea of this being one last triumhphant show, then the band just goes back ot retirement, the legend complete.

As for the cameras . . in their heyday, Zeppelin had a lot of their bigger England shows filmed. Earl's Court, Royal Albert hall, Knebworth. In the states, there are plenty of stories about the roadies thrashing people who dared to try to bootleg the shows in the early days. But in England, they always wanted to preserve the event.

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Amen.

My friend won tickets to this show. She wrote an essay about how Zeppelin changed her life and her third row tickets, plane tickets, and hotel were paid for. She said it was the best experience of her life. She took tons of pictures of her trip, here's one for you Zepheads:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted