1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zeppelin returns, apparently triumphantly

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Dec 10, 2007.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

That never gets old.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I agree. Must be used sparingly though. Which, when you've got 300,000 posts on a message board, is tough to do.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Pretty predictable set list. Four tunes off IV, nothing at all from In Through The Out Door, and only one from III, my least favorite tune on that album save for Hats Off to Roy Harper, which either a) should have never been recorded or b) been given to Yoko Ono to record.

The In Through the Out Door omission is the big sin to me. Boys, that's the one album no one ever got to see you tour behind. How about mixing in a track from that one?

Still in all, if they tour, I'm there in a heartbeat.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

What would you want to hear them play from that album? (First Zep album I bought with my own money and I kind of wrecked the cover getting the colours to come out. I can't be the only one here who did that.)

I'd love to hear them do "In The Evening" or take a run at "Carouselambra".

I can't believe some Nashville guy in a cowboy hat hasn't made a hit out of "Hot Dog". Or maybe somebody did and I missed it.

5. Captain_Kirk

Clearly, we must have been twin brothers separated at birth.

I would have gone "In the Evening" #1, "Carouselambra #2, and then maybe "Fool in the Rain" third.

And yes, "Hot Dog" is a highly underrated nugget, just waiting for someone out there to remake it into a chart topper.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I wouldn't say "no one" got to see them tour behind it . . . . .

They played some tunes at Knebworth in 1979 and then played In the Evening, Hot Dog and All My Love in 1980 on the European Tour. I honestly didn't think they'd touch on In Through The Out Door at all last night, exspecially considering that Page was sort of pushed to the background on that record. He has said it's "soft."

I've seen some of the youtubes from last night (search for Zeppelin O2 2007), and they look and sound much better than I expected. I was shocked at Page's ability to still play well, for the most part.

They may just tour . . . . .

But if they don't, their legend is once again cemented. One triumphant return, just to remind everyone that the reunions of the Police and Van Halen, the bloated Pink Floyd (and friends), the "Who the hell are those guys?" recent Who tour, and the Stones continuing to drag out for a road payday every few years . . . they all pale in comparison.

And I think Hot Dog is a great song.

7. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I'll only see them if they play the full version of "Wait For You". ;D

8. Captain_Kirk

Didn't know that info about Knebworth or the European tour, Piotr. Good stuff.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I had tickets for the show they had planned for Olympic Stadium in Montreal on that tour.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Carouselambra would be incredibly difficult to pull off live, I would think. I'm Gonna Crawl would be pretty sweet though.

11. Completely lost on me.
    Always have been.
    I know why the Doors suck. I can't figure out why I never gave these guys the time of day.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I think it's a generational thing, Fen. My mom wasn't far off your age and I'll never forget having a conversation with her in the early 80s about the dangers of joining a record club.

I was really wanting to join up when I was like ... 10. Lord knows what garbage I would have got at the time, probably Pacman Fever or something.

Anyway, she went through the typical parental spiel about what a scam it could be if you weren't on top of your orders, etc. To drive the point home, she whipped out a LP of Led Zeppelin III.

"See. This is what can happen. I forgot to do my order and I ended up with this."

Led Zep III was psychedelica-scary for a 10-year-old. What's up with the pinwheel cover! What's the deal with all the odd imagery! Led Zeppelin is bad!

Short story long, my mom couldn't stand Led Zep and her musical tastes were generally pretty good. Aside from owning a lot of Helen Reddy albums. I heard a lot of women roaring in my childhood home, but not a lot of quality in doing so.

As an aside, I so absorbed my mom's lesson that I rushed headlong into joining a record club my freshman year of college. Ironically, I got several Led Zep albums from it. Equally ironic is I did the same thing she did, forget to send in an order, and ended up with an unwanted album.

So when I have this conversation with my kids in a few years, I can whip out Paul McCartney's Tripping The Live Fantastic and give them the same speech my dearly departed mom gave me.

I think I'm safer from any critical re-appraisal of that hunk of crap than my mom was for Led Zeppelin III.

Draft saved Draft deleted