1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zell whacks 25 percent of Allentown newsroom

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pendleton, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I don't think the bedside manner of managers cutting people loose is going to improve. It is so widespread now that a certain numbness has set in, and also a presumption of "They have to know there's a good chance this could happen." As if that absolves them somehow of treating the next whack-ee any less humanely than they treated the first 349.

But now that half of the ship is underwater and some of the lifeboats are gone already, I don't see basic courtesy, civility and class getting any better as folks push and claw for whatever safe spot is left.

There's going to be a newsy somewhere who gets axed and then snaps, going balls-out, camouflage-and-war paint nuts. I'm telling ya. There will be blood, and then Time or Newsweek will do a cover story on "The End of Journalism?"

And it will be way, way, way too late.

2. also crossed paths with beth years ago, very briefly, in her stop before allentown. another nice person in this business who's getting screwed.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

While reading about this has been disgusting - Sam Zell has already dropped into Dean Singleton and Bob Jelenic territory as far as I'm concerned - it has been great to see the other folks from Pennsylvania, one of whom I think the world of, rally around the ones who have been pushed out.

Hang in there. We're all pulling for you.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

You might be. The rest of us have pretty shitty health insurance.

5. Kevin_Cooney

Kevin_Cooney New Member

Gordie, Beth and Boz are good writers who are even better people. I'll never forget riding around with Boz in Clearwater, listening to the NCAA Tournament on the radio. He got so excited about UAB's win over Kentucky the one year that we almost ended up driving into the Bay at Sand Key.
    This was about as poorly handled a situation as I've ever heard. People should not be forced to hang on pins and needles for a week before getting a faceless phone call over a weekend. It isn't a reality show- these are hard-working people who deserved a lot better.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Don't know Gordie at all, but best of luck to you sir. Just another awful example of what kind of heartless machine this biz has become. I crossed paths with Beth many moons ago when I interviewed for a gig in York, and everyone raved at how good she was at covering wrestling and how professionally she covered the sport. Best of luck to all involved.

7. Beth Hudson

Beth Hudson New Member

To Gordie, Mike, Kevin, Cosmo and the rest, thank you for the kind words.

I've been walking around on the verge of tears for the better part of two days. Any time someone says (or writes) something nice to me or about me, it pushes me over the edge. This will pass, right? I'm hopeful.

I will never regret taking a job at The Morning Call, because that decision allowed me to meet my husband, the extraordinarily kind, funny, talented and altogether unassuming Mark Wogenrich -- the best gift I've ever received in life. I've also met some very decent, very loyal friends. For all that, I'm grateful to former sports editor Terry Larimer.

Honestly and truly, Gordie, I thought four people in our department (that was my best guess) were almost untouchable at this time: You and Larry were two of them. I couldn't imagine a newspaper laying off someone as valuable as Larry who's gone through so much trauma this year. No one could be that diabolically evil, I told myself. I also thought the overall quality of your work would be more than enough to carry you through this time. It certainly should have been.

I put myself somewhere in the middle of the pack -- note, I said "middle." I foolishly believed that if there was any justice at all, I'd get some credit for taking what I was told was the most hated beat in sports (the wrestling beat) and doing that job as well as possible for seven years. I thought I'd get credit for being available to help other people on their beats -- or even for working 30-plus copy shifts last summer alone, when the desk needed help.

After all this, though, I'm reasonably certain those in charge made these decisions without even trying to figure out what any of us contributed to the overall product or what kind of employees/people we were/are. That would have required thought and effort.

8. Keystone

Keystone Member

Beth,

You're another MC person who I've never met, but I've heard nothing but good things about, especially from Rich Scarcella and Brian Rippey. Keep your chin up, with your credentials you will land somewhere soon.

9. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

Beth --

Everyone who matters appreciates what you contributed to TMC. Everyone.

Best,
    Gordie

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

We've all heard the stories about lazy reporters. We all know someone that puts forth the minimum needed to do the job. Never volunteers. Always the clock-watcher.
    These are the people who bosses decide should receive less responsibility, but remain employed. That's bullshit, I say. Instead, these are the people who should fired.
    We're losing a lot of quality journalists. And while I don't know Gordie or Beth, or any of the other faceless brethern of my profession, I can only feel sickened and saddened by the direction journalism is taking.
    I can only hope that in the future, the powers that be return to trimming the fat and leave the beef alone.
    Good luck, everyone.

11. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I'm not sure it was appropriate to disclose such personal information here, but since it's out there, I want Larry to know that he's in my thoughts and prayers.

Larry O'Rourke is a true pro's pro. He taught me a lot about how to be a journalist and I wouldn't be where I am if not for the his guidance. I know I am not the only who can say that. Larry, we've come a long way since the days when I was helping you do the Thunder and college basketball sections.

12. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

Absolutely agree with you about Larry. The info about his condition has been out there for a while. There were fundraisers for him on June 11 (in Philadelphia) and July 20 (in Bath, Pa.) which together raised over $20,000.

Draft saved Draft deleted