1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You've GOT to be kidding me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Jul 28, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Apologies for the Facebook and old shop-related rant, but this makes no sense to me.

OK, so as many of you know, I was shit-canned from my previous newspaper gig after two and a half years. I filed for unemployment my last day of work, only to have the employer contest it. I was originally denied, then won on appeal.

Last week, I got a letter from the state's unemployment division informing me that my former employer appealed that decision. Now I'm in a waiting pattern to find out if I'll win that or not.

Several months after I left, I looked at the paper I used to edit and noticed that my replacement as editor created Facebook and Twitter accounts for the paper. Those sound like things I would have done as editor myself, but that's neither here nor there.

I checked my Facebook account yesterday and got a friend request ... from the newspaper. I couldn't believe they would actually try to friend their former editor after such an acrimonious split.

Needless to say, I clicked on Ignore. But it just struck me as extremely nervy.

I may end up regretting posting this thread. I may end up asking someone to delete it. Perhaps it's sour grapes. Perhaps I'm being too much of a drama queen (if you don't want to be Facebook friends, just delete the request and be done with it!). But this ... ugh!

2. beanpole

beanpole Member

It's a kick in the gut, to be sure. But I'd bet that the person who created the Facebook account and tried to "friend" you has no idea that the payroll department and publisher is fighting your unemployment. And vice versa.

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Fuck 'em. Fuck 'em in the ass. That's my thought.

I "follow" the EE at my old joint, primarily for my own amusement and first-hand witness at his stupidity.

RB

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

On twitter? I may have to join. :)

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Yep. PM me if you want to get his Twit-ter handle.

RB

6. forever_town

Mine too.

I got a Yahoo! chat message from one of my former student writers yesterday. She was asking if I'd found an editing job yet. She then asked me to let her and the other students know so they could follow me there. She said few of the students were thrilled with the woman who replaced me.

I saw one of the students who'd worked with me in the summer and he told me he boycotted the paper after the shit hit the fan. So there is that.

7. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Again, I know it varies by state, but if you're fired in PA you're an automatic unemployment recipient unless there is some real provable incident of fraud, theft or something illegal. Keep fighting the fight. Some companies appeal just for the sake of it.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Friend them, then post this on their profile:

9. forever_town

That video is sooooo solid.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

That video is awesome!

And f_t, hopefully you won't regret starting this thread. Hang in there and, as bagelchick says, keep fighting the good fight. :)

11. forever_town

I was just worried that I'd get too far into complaining about a specific workplace or the whole "why the drama, just hit ignore?" question. It's why I specifically kept from mentioning the name of the place I worked.

I just needed to vent. So far, I'm glad I did.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Friend them and then gather evidence to support your case.

Draft saved Draft deleted