1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"You're not being nice to us!"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KYSportsWriter, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think you did the right thing on not letting him get away with chewing on the whippersnapper. I was just saying in general I think we as reporters should be expected to take the crap.

That's one of the tradeoffs vs. being on the desk. If a copy editor writes a bad headline, he doesn't get chewed out by a coach or AD, the reporter does.

2. micke77

micke77 Member

Ace...and you're right. I agree totally. Just in that instance...well, you know....only time I have done something like that, but I would do it again if the same circumstances presented themselves.
    By the way, the coach eventually left that job and moved to the next state and I saw him, oh, six or seven years after that incident. First thing he said when we bumped into each other was something like, "why did the media always hate me?"
    damn, he just would never let it go.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ace, I have always gone by the mantra of treating people the way I would like to be treated. I've had a few coaches try to play bully in front of their team and like Micke77, made damn sure it wasn't going to happen again.
    Reporters aren't paid to be abused.

4. micke77

micke77 Member

Or taken for granted, which I think far too many times we are.

Draft saved Draft deleted