1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

you're costing my baby a scholarship ... I'll see you in court!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jps, Mar 12, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I can't wait until a newspaper is sued for not giving the "right" coverage.

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

As competitive cheer grows, so does the likelihood of a lawsuit for noncoverage. Because those moms are nuts.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

To sum up. The kid is caught cheating, the school disciplines and mom steps in to save her baby even tho he's in the wrong.

Parents just suck...

4. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

slap, did this story occur in Dumas? Sounds like the parent could have been from there.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That was my first thought too.

6. micke77

micke77 Member

JPS....you're not only sensing a trend, it WILL be a trend once this gets out to all parents gung-ho on hoping son/daughter turn out to be the next LeBron or Candace.
    geez.

7. Some more background info from the Trib's story several days ago:
    Mills already has a D1 scholarship (Texas A&M-Corpus Christi)
    He was taking the test a day late with only him and the teacher in the room. He scored a 96 on the test. A cheat sheet was found in the garbage. Mills said even "the dumbest person would put it in his pocket."
    He was also academically ineligible as a freshman and sophomore, but played as a junior and led team to Class 2A state title (Illinois has four classes for hoops).

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-08-jonathan-mills-north-lawnmar08,0,7009250.story

8. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

This really makes it seem to me that the coach, if he had any integrity, would bench the kid for the appropriate amount of time. Unless, I guess, he fears a lawsuit from crazy mom too.

Would the mom have a leg to stand on there? Could she sue the coach at that point for benching her kid in light of the other stuff going on?

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Don't give anyone any ideas, dammit.

I've take enough grief over "well, you did a feature on Billy, why didn't you do one on Sammy?" from parents. The last think we need, in this day of shrinking staff and shrinking news holes, is the courts telling us we have to do a feature on every freakin' senior on the team.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Around here, the state association is perceived as being so arrogant that a lot of people are glad when it loses in court, even if it's completely in the right.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

But they all work hard!

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If the answers on the cheat sheet match the answers on the kid's test, then you bench him. And if the coach decides to kick him off, then kick him off.

Also, isn't AAU where all the scouting is done?

If the court rules in the mom's favor, the school will do their best, and on the day when this kid graduates or drops, the school can look this mother in the eye and smile. He's all hers, now. They will wash their hands of him.

Schools provide countless opportunities for children to succeed, but when parents battle against the school like this, then you will have children left behind.

Draft saved Draft deleted