1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You're an Olympian in Beijing? We tell you how to think

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

strange, but she was spotted in eugene with a lesbian couple.

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

One question I have is: Why does do the Olympics in the US need to be located in just one state?

Why can't events be spread throughtout the country or just the West Coast or another region of the country.

Heck why not make it a world stage and move it so part is in the US and part is in Mexico - Arizona, southern Cal. for example. Oh wait, I keep looking at my Absolut map of the world.

But seriously why just one state? I never understood why, especially with how much people cry about patriotism and being the greatest nation on the planet, we cannot host the Olympics as a nation instead of as one state at a time. Whenever a debate over cities comes up, it's always New York vs. L.A. Why not New York, L.A., Boston, Atlanta, Denver, Jacksonville, Chicago, New Orleans, Eugene, Seattle . . . ect.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I'm not saying it's the best way to do it, but the reason why is because that's just the way the Olympics are run. It's in one city or metro area, always has been.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

eugene.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I think the idea has been to have everyone grouped together as closely as possible so all can be a part of some cheesy 70s Coca-Cola commercial "the Olympic spirit." But a handful of events do have to spread out for the sake of logistics, which is why in 96 Savannah had sailing, Polk Co., Tenn., had whitewater rafting, Birmingham had preliminary soccer, etc.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

They have spread events out somewhat at times. For Atlanta 1996, soccer events were held in Orlando, eight hours away.

But . . . .

In 1994, the World Cup was in the USA. Games were in the Rose Bowl, Giants Stadium, Soldier Field, the Cotton Bowl, among others. The USA played games in Detroit, the Rose Bowl, and Palo Alto. Argentina played in Dallas, Boston, and the Rose Bowl. Italy was in New York, Boston, and LA. Etc.

Imagine being a fan or journalist who is following one of those teams. Great travel, at a large expense.

The Olympics are just fine in one city.

7. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I respectfully disagree.
    I think spread throughout the country not only gives everyone in the country a solid chance of taking in some action, but it also helps the economy nationally instead of just one metro region.

Isn't that what a majority of people on this board are all about: Sharing and spreading the wealth?

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Interesting, RedSmithGeneticLeftovers.

I would ask you: as one of those who feels that each individual should do what they can to keep their own personal wealth, by what logic would needing to travel around a country as vast as ours for a sporting event be a good thing?

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not to mention the Olympics are still trying to cling to the concept of the 'Olympic Village', where athletes all over the world play ping-pong together, and the American men try to hook up with the Swedish women's water polo team.

Of course, the Dream Team likes to stay at their own hotels, rather than share a building with the Singapore fencing team.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Apologize!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/16/world/asia/16cnn.html?ref=media

11. That's ridiculous. They're going to be asking for a lot more aplogies in the next weeks and months.

Jack Cafferty? Does anybody watch him? Oh this is going to be a lot of fun.

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

May CNN tell the Chinese government to walk off. You know Rupert Murdoch won't.

Draft saved Draft deleted