1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your weekly Jameis Winston controversy/allegation update: point shaving?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 6, 2014.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I was talking about North Carolina. In terms of academics, Chapel Hill is light years ahead of Florida State.

If UNC can cheat, any school can.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Did NOT see that coming. Sure, it could be part of his not ever having to deal with consequences, but I seriously doubt he has been aided enough to post a 4.00 GPA in HS and make the All-Academic team at FSU. Wouldn't that look a bit suspicious? I'm sure he's not taking the toughest class load at FSU, but we're making a lot of huge leaps on here. I have repeatedly said the kid has no sense or self-awareness, but the implication that he has cheated his way through school or fixed a half of his defending national champions' football game is a bit much.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You don't want to believe your heroes would ever do anything bad.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

From the guy who always assumes everybody is doing something bad, though given how this thread has gone, that goes for about 90 percent of the board.

5. LongTimeListener

Here's a clip from his high school days:

http://blog.al.com/sentell/2009/09/sentell_jameis_winston_not_you.html

Winston carries a 3.95 GPA and scored an 18 on his first ACT, but plans to keep taking it until he scores a "24 or a 25."

Now, granted, that was as a sophomore, but any sophomore with any kind of notable real-world intelligence is going to score into the high 20s on that thing. Certainly a straight-A student would. So here's a breakdown of exactly what an ACT score of 18 means:

http://www.wikihow.com/Interpret-ACT-Scores

Highly selective top-tier private colleges and Ivy league schools look for ACT test scores in the 90th percentile or higher. They will typically accept people who score a 27 or higher. The average accepted person has a score between 27 and 31.

Selective private and public colleges typically accept people in the 75th percentile, who, on average, score between a 22 and a 27 on their ACT test.

Regular four year institutions typically accept people in the 50th percentile, with average scores higher than a 20. In 2011, the average ACT test score was 21.1.

Liberal schools accept people who score an 18 or higher.

Open institutions take students who usually score a 17 or higher, until they reach capacity.

Yeah I'm fairly comfortable doubting the authenticity of that 4.0 GPA. I suppose it could be real if the entire school is made up of dumbshits, but I don't know enough about that high school to say either way.

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I think you're going down this path alone, LTL.

7. LongTimeListener

The path that says Jameis Winston's 4.0 GPA (paired with a below-50th-percentile ACT score) and subsequent Academic All-ACC standing (in a major of "exploratory") is perhaps not as authentic as we're being led to believe?

I'm OK on that path.

Others can feel free to believe FSU stands for doing things above-board and the right way.

8. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

We all know Jameis Winston Everett Golson isn't very intelligent with a history of making poor decisions. Can we put point-shaving in the first half past him?

We all know Jameis Winston Nick Marshall isn't very intelligent with a history of making poor decisions. Can we put point-shaving in the first half past him?

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Silly me. I like to base my opinions on evidence.

10. LongTimeListener

The evidence is that Jameis Winston was simultaneously pulling a 3.95 GPA and an ACT score of 18.

Those things do not go together.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yes, he's my hero. Even though I'm a Miami fan. Do those two things go together?

12. LongTimeListener

Well if you are a Miami fan you have long since given up on the idea of believing anything bad about college football players.

This is one of the things I find most humorous/enjoyable about the whole college football circus. We all know it's dirty and hypocritical as all hell. But so many can't imagine that gee golly a school like Florida State might cut so many corners for a player like Jameis Winston just to win two national championships.

You're talking about a school where the university president is contractually obligated to answer to the booster club.

Draft saved Draft deleted