1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Top 25 Music Videos

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

In honor of MTV's 25th anniversary, what are your Top 25 videos?

There are no rules or guidelines. Feel free to explain your choices.

Here's one hack's opinion:

1. Thriller by Michael Jackson -- say what you want about him now, but he dominated the pop scene in his prime and Jackson's videos really revolutionized the music video industry. This was the standard bearer of his work and the obvious No. 1 pick
    2. Video Killed the Radio Star by The Buggles -- the video itself is rather lame, but it's this high because of its historic importance and prophetic lyrics
    3. Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel -- very creative video; you almost wonder what Peter Gabriel's video would have been like if his songs came now
    4. In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins -- almost as intense as the song
    5. Where the Streets Have No Name by U2 -- the concert from which this video was based nearly caused a riot
    6. Cry by Godley & Creme -- Michael Jackson benefitted from advanced technology, but part of his "Black & White" video basically ripped off this clever premise (quick question: whose face is shown next to last at the end of the video?)
    7. Weapon of Choice by Fatboy Slim -- bonus points for using Christopher Walken
    8. Self Control by Laura Branigan -- this one's for you BYH. The fact that Laura is drop dead gorgeous helps, too
    9. Addicted to Love by Robert Palmer -- good song made into a memorable video by Palmer's back-up musicians
    10. Walk This Way by Aerosmith and Run DMC -- song and video really helped rap crossover and revived Aerosmith's career
    11. Land of Confusion by Genesis -- puppets. C'mon now, who doesn't like puppets?
    12. Sabotage by Beastie Boys -- Beastie Boys have had some geat videos. This is my favorite
    13. Jeremy by Pearl Jam -- sometimes the song just dictates what the video will be
    14. Thunder Rolls by Garth Brooks -- it was edgy by country standards at the time
    15. Like A Prayer by Madonna -- very well done; the controversy and the Pepsi tie-in only make it more appealing
    16. Cradle of Love by Billy Idol -- Billy Idol doesn't make this a great video. You know what makes this a great video
    17. Two Tribes by Frankie Goes to Hollywood -- an underrated song and video; lesser known than "Relax," it packs a much more political punch
    18. Money for Nothing by Dire Straits -- well done piece for its time and it helped MTV become accepted by a larger audience
    19. Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson -- as I stated before Jackson really made the video into an art form; I think this is underrated compared to Michael's other videos
    20. When Doves Cry by Prince -- I felt obligated to put something by him on the list, and I always thought the keyboard player was cool
    21. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nivana -- I never got the grunge thing, but I'd be remiss if I didn't respect how this song (primarily based on the video) changed music in the early 90s
    22. California Love by 2 Pac -- not quite the historical significance of the Run DMC's Walk This Way, but this is perhaps the best concept for a rap video
    23. Take On Me by a ha -- this was another song that was really helped by its video
    24. Shock the Monkey by Peter Gabriel -- Gabriel probably made the most creative videos in the 80s; that's why he deserves a second video on the list
    25. Don't Come Around Here by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers -- debated between this and You Might Think by The Cars; either would have been worthy for this slot

Again, this is just my list and I'm by no means an expert. Feel free to rip my choices or post your own.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Sister Christian, Night Ranger
    Take on Me, AHA

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Gotta have "Buddy Holly" by Weezer in there. Best video I've ever seen.

I've always liked Phil Collins's "Take Me Home" too.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Why isn't Samantha Fox getting any love on this thread?

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I very much disagree with California Love. A great concept? He took Mad Max and put Dr. Dre in it.

Blah.

6. Song Seven

Song Seven Member

would someone link that 80s video website? that site is awesome.

7. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Thirller is definitley number 1. But I think you missed Mo Money Mo Problems by Diddy and Mase. That video was an important video in hip hop history. It was right after the Biggie shooting and it was the first video that showed Diddy being happy. It was a video that celebrated Biggie's life.

Those red jumpsuits were great too....

http://singingfool.com/default.asp?frame=http://singingfool.com/musicvideo.asp?publishedId=106993

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

* Call Me Al, Paul Simon
    * Take on Me, A'Ha
    * Out of Touch, Hall and Oates
    * Sledgehammer, Peter Gabriel
    * Thriller, Michael Jackson
    * Money for Nothing, Dire Straits
    * Memory Remains, Metallica
    * November Rain, G&R
    * Cry, Godley and Cream
    * Don't Come Around Here No More, Tom Petty
    * Dancing in the Dark, Bruce (gotta love a young Courtney Cox)

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"Ashes To Ashes" by Bowie was very cool for its time.

For me the best performance video I've seen is the one for "Rosalita" that Springsteen did way back in the 70s.

10. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

"Turn It On Again" The Flaming Lips -- just a great song, a bunch of cute, approachable chicks having fun, a dog and washing machines.
    "Sabotauge" -- The Beastie Boys
    "Fight for Your Right (to Party)" The Beastie Boys
    "New Pollution" -- Beck
    "Talk About the Blues" -- John Spencer Blues Explosion
    "Hurt" -- Johnny Cash
    "Even Flow" - Pearl Jam
    "It's Oh So Quiet"- Bjork
    "Sledgehammer" -- Peter Gabriel
    "Billie Jean" -- Michael Jackson (yes, he's a freakshow child molester. But it's an amazing performance, back from when he looked human.)
    "Smack My Bitch Up" -- Prodigy ("Transpotting" the video)
    "Losing My Religion" -- R.E.M.
    "Nothing Compares to U" -- Sinead O'Conner
    "Gin and Juice" -- Dr. Dre and Snoop Doggy Dogg
    "Just" -- Radiohead
    "Lucky Star" -- Madonna (she's never looked sexier)
    "What They Do" -- The Roots (I may have the title wrong...it's the video where they made fun of all the gangsta rap video cliches)
    "We're Not Gonna Take It" -- Twisted Sister
    "California Girls" -- David Lee Roth
    "Go With the Flow" -- Queens of the Stone Age
    "Money for Nothing" -- Dire Straits (although, the song sucks.)
    "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" -- U2

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'll get around to ranking them ... never, probably, but here's 25 in no particular order except that the first one is my No. 1.

One, Metallica
    November Rain, Guns 'n Roses
    Money for Nothing, Dire Straits
    Lucas With The Lid Off, Lucas (lame one-hit song but cool one-take video)
    Don't Answer Me, Alan Parsons Project
    Hot for Teacher, Van Halen
    Right Now, Van Halen
    Subterranian Homestick Blues, Bob Dylan
    Who We Be, DMX
    A Long December, Counting Crows (gotta love an older Courtney Cox)
    Running Down A Dream, Tom Petty
    Everlong, Foo Fighters
    Can't Stop, Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Come Closer, Common (really sweet video, draws from the Dylan video but to a nice and sweet surprise at the end)
    Wonderwall, Oasis (really love the song, but I do like the single-color item in a b/w video effect)
    Set Adrift on Memory Bliss, P.M. Dawn (I always thought of myself as a white version of the fat dude from P.M. Dawn at heart)
    Where's Your Heat At, Basement Jaxx
    Tha Crossroads, Bone Thugs 'n Harmony
    Nothin' But a G Thang, Dr. Dre
    Stay, Lisa Loeb and Nine Stories
    Closer, Nine Inch Nails
    Nothing Compares 2 U, Sinead O'Connor
    Voices Carry, 'til Tuesday
    Love is a Battlefield, Pat Benatar
    Legs, ZZ Top

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Oh, and here's another top 100 video list with help from YouTube, in case the Stylus one hoops posted was not to your liking: http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/feature/36588/Staff_List_100_Awesome_Music_Videos

Draft saved Draft deleted