1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your thoughts on this one?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Concerned_Journo, Apr 21, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Depends on if their 'honorary coach' status affects what they write.

2. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Before everyone makes a decision to turn it down, let's assume this context:
    Let's say this is a very competitive beat, with very limited access. This might be the only time said writers have a chance inside the locker room, with a chance to talk to coaches and certain players. Wearing the clothes is one thing (I'm against it), but standing on the sidelines is another.
    Not to mention, if one of them turns down the invite, his/her five competitors all have stories tomorrow that one does not. Think any editor would be happy?
    Now decide.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

At first you think, honorary coaches, you must be involved with what happens in such. But if it was just a way to stand on the sidelines to be in the mix, a chance to develop relationships and get insight, then absolutely do it.

4. Right on the money. I'd have to say I'd also think long and hard about taking part in the "honorary coaching" gig. Too weird. Think my editor would back me on that one, too.

5. mine would

ethics are more important to us than getting a story

this is preposterous

you just can't do this stuff

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I would frown on such a thing.

But my SEC guys would tell the schools to take a hike anyway ...

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

One simple thought:

There is nothing in the entire world more usless than spring football.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

When you say journalists, do you mean print guys, broadcast guys or a mix and if it was a mix, what was it?
    I saw a D-I school do this once for a basketball scrimmage, they had the "coaches" miked and it was broadcast. The world didn't end, nobody complained and it was amusing.

If I was offered a chance to guest coach I'd do it and I'd make a point of changing the offense and tell the players it was because "your coach doesn't know what the hell he is doing."

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

In a heartbeat.

10. No.
    Period.
    Jesus, how much is a golf shirt worth to your paper?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"journalists" sounds like print... this is the kind of foofy thing TV would do...
    Hell no they shouldnt do it

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

The way to uphold integrity would be to decline the invitation.

Draft saved Draft deleted