1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Super Bowl memories

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Feb 3, 2008.

1. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Super Bowl XXIII for me is the one that solidified the greatness of Joe Montana. I remember looking at how much time was left when the Niners got the ball at the start of that drive and thinking it was way too much time for them not to go down the field and score. It was like a foregone conclusion that it was going to happen. I remember how hyped Enberg was on some of his calls of those plays and I had butterflies waiting for what was going to happen next, and then every time they showed Montana he was completely calm. You had the sense, even in the moment, that you were watching a signature moment in the guy's career.

Another one that stands out for me is in Super Bowl XXX when Deion Figures recovered the onside kick for Pittsburgh. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, and a Steelers fan for life. That onside kick was so unexpected and so perfectly executed that you could feel the momentum swing. I was watching alone and I remember standing up and pacing back and forth in disbelief. And then, of course, minutes later, I was stopped in my tracks by Neil O'Donnell stupid throw. But those couple of minutes, after the onside kick and before the interception were incredible.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I believe that is the only surprise onside kick in 42 editions.

3. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

First one I remember was Eagles/Raiders. I was in Kindergarten and remembered rooting for the Raiders. The next year, I got my painful baptism as a Bengals fan when the 49ers held of Cincinnati's second half rally.

That ended up being nothing compared to XXIII, when heck, there was just NO WAY even Joe Montana could lead a team 90 yards in three minutes. Heck, these games are always blow outs anyway.

Liked the Cowboys, too, so the 90s were a bit nicer to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted