1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your story on their site

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Feb 13, 2007.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Wow.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

You need to talk to your editors and legal people to ask about this.

If they aren't passing it off as their own and are linking to your site, I would ask this question: Is what they are doing a negative thing to the interests of your newspaper and you? I suppose you could make the argument that they are using your story and they are selling merchandise on their website. Also, if there is an archive where your paper sells stories older than a certain time, that could be a problem. However, I also think there are positive things for your paper which can come of this in terms of attention and getting your paper's website some attention.

All I'm saying is I don't think things are cut-and-dried and there needs to be some talk and thought about this.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Demand free tickets.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

When people cut and paste but attribute to us, or of course link to us, we don't have much of a problem with it.

Linking in particular is fine, because it sends traffic our way.

5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

The Chicago Tribune's sports website, chicagosports.com, has done this for their preps section for the last year or so. They had no attribution at first. Then put the name of the paper underneath the link then took off that attribution then put it back on.
    I don't know if it's legal. I'm assuming it is or why would they take the risk of being sued? It's a decent idea when you think about it. High school sports fans will go to their website first because it's a clearing house for all prep sports stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted