1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Spouse's Most Hated Purchase

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Re: You're Spouse's Most Hated Purchase

Well, I can't say it now.

Mine was probably buying my 40-inch HDTV, a week before I was hosting a Super Bowl party. At least I got it in the divorce.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Also ...

It hasn't happened yet, but I can only imagine my wife's reaction when I show her my new TT/Tri bike next spring.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The HD package from my satellite provider. My wife doesn't think the HD picture is that much of an improvement from standard, which blows my mind. I have pointed out the sweat beads on football players' faces and the blades of grass at Augusta during HD telecasts, and she's unimpressed. Ditto for her beloved HGTV in high-def. ("Honey, look at the definition on those cedar closet hangers!")

Oddly, she was in favor of buying the 42-inch flatscreen. But almost every time we watch it she's gotta complain about the $30 a month or whatever it is for the HD programming. It's beyond maddening.

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

$50 lapdance.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So that's how you met...

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

According to the subject line, I am my spouse's most hated purchase . . . . . . . . .

This changes every few months, but she's still holding a grudge about getting tickets to Rush on consecutive nights this summer. Not the cost as much as her having to see that band even once, much less twice.

I'm more in a situation where she urges me to make purchases that will make me happy (a new bike, the new Guitar Hero, tickets to the Ozzy Osbourne/Rob Zombie show, etc.), basically so she can buy herself stuff.

7. Re: You're Spouse's Most Hated Purchase

definitely has to be any time i've gone away to a bachelor party...

she is also never too crazy about the various sports packages i buy a year......

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm shocked she stayed after you subjected her to Rush twice. That's grounds for divorce in some states :D

9. Faithless

Faithless Member

Hell, mine is still ticked at me for subjecting her to Rush once. Our getaway to Atlanta this summer included the kickoff show of Rush's Snakes and Arrows Tour, which she didn't know about until we got there. She said she could think of better things to do than to hear that guy who sounds like a woman. To me, it was payback for having to sit through a freakin' Air Supply concert with her 22 years ago.

Any time she'd gripe about seeing Rush, I should've said, "Well, those dates I took to Rush shows in the early '80s didn't complain. They enjoyed it. So shut your yapper and enjoy 'Tom Sawyer'." (The only song she recognized the entire show).

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Unmarried, but I think everything I buy pisses off my boyfriend. I'm not good with money. He won't buy anything to save his life. We're kind of opposites that way.

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

Mrs. Editude wasn't thrilled when I contributed to my ex-wife's house restoration fund.
    I wasn't thrilled when she bought a third cat.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Season tickets. When I told her, her response was, "OK, when do I get to go to NY for a Broadway musical?" Still hasn't happened yet, but she did get to see Josh Groban. Not sure we're even yet. I am sure it's not healthy to keep score on such things.

Draft saved Draft deleted