1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your small paper could be a reality star!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Cook, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Romenesko reports that NBC is seeking a small-town community newspaper to be the subject of a reality show (though the National Newspaper Association, which is assisting in finding a paper, calls it a "documentary"):

http://jimromenesko.com/2013/01/22/coming-soon-a-reality-show-about-a-community-newspaper/

So what do you think a newspaper reality show should have?

Release the hounds.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Yeah, I saw that on the facebookz.

I figure they'll pick a place in West Virginia or Arkansas or Mississippi that is rural and full of the colorful characters that can be coached up into doing dumb things for the camera.

Tupelo, oh Tupelo, you ain't seen nothing yet.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

TV Guide Channel did a series that followed small-town TV stations. It lasted two seasons (Odessa and Savannah). Was fun to watch. I think it could be interesting.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The funny thing is, NBC would probably be best off buying a small-town paper so they could control everything. Then unload it when it is done.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

If they don't choose Roswell, I ain't watching.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Parents dropping by to tell us all about Little Jimmy.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Roswell would be perfect. Maybe Martinsville.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"You only cover us when you're on TV!"

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It would have been very interesting to have seen the Westchester Journal News in a documentary for the last month or so.

And I'm willing to betcha the reporters are all going to be these young, good-looking 20-somethings. Which is who they'll find at these papers. Only thing is, the network will have to provide them money so they can go out and party and eat out 6 times a week.

10. Look forward to watching lively discussions of what grip-and-grin to run or how to handle the local women's group luncheon.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I think just taking the "Dear Dimwit" thread and making it a sit-com would be enough entertainment for NBC.

12. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

Somehow, I don't think my calling people "rat bastard cocksuckers" would translate well to television. Unless it's on HBO.

Draft saved Draft deleted