1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Rookie of the Year ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shaggy, Aug 23, 2007.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Okajima's stats are insane.

2. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

"As for Pedroia, Gordon has more home runs, stolen bases and RBIs. Granted every thing has come in garbage time ... but he's also not far behind in runs scored on playing for an offensively-challenge team."

Gordon may turn out to be a fine player, but he shouldn't be in the ROY discussion with the overall year Pedroia is having. There is almost an 80-point difference in BA, not a huge difference in power numbers, and Pedroia has been very, very good in the field all season.

Pedroia
    .323 BA, 58 runs, 124 hits, 27 2B, 1 3B, 6 HR, 38 RBI, 41 BB, 32 K, .394 OBP, .445 SLG, 5 errors, .990 fielding % (482 chances)

Gordon
    .246 BA, 52 runs, 105 hits, 27 2B, 4 3B, 11 HR, 42 RBI, 35 BB, 103 K, .320 OBP, .405 SLG, 10 errors, .976 fielding % (420 chances)

3. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

I also happen to think it's silly to have Dice-K in the discussion. He hasn't even best the best rookie pitcher from Japan on his own team. While Dice-K has made a strong immediate impact, nobody expected Okajima to be anything close to this good for the Sox this season.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Not saying Pedroia isn't having a fine season. He is. Gordon, garbage production aside (which I guess you can't do because that's all he does), however has better numbers in several categories while playing third base. And he made something like five errors in April (gawd he was bad in April).

I just think if Pedroia deserves ROY recognition (at this moment he doesn't), so should Gordon.

At this moment, here's how I would vote:
    1. Bannister
    2. Okajima
    3. Dice-K.

5. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

I'll agree to disagree, as I can't see anyone putting Gordon and Pedrioa in the same boat right now. As a corner infielder, I'm not impressed with a guy who has 11 home runs, compared to six for a second baseman. I'm certainly not impressed by a .246 batting average.

I guess I'm more surprised that a guy seventh in the league in hitting, who also happens to be playing excellent defense, isn't at the top of more people's lists. I could be very wrong on this, but I thought it was put out there that Pedroia was among the all-time leaders for rookie batting average. Considering the way his season started, to be where he is now means he has been pretty incredible at the plate for a long stretch now.

Draft saved Draft deleted