1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Rookie of the Year ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shaggy, Aug 23, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The minor leagues are professional baseball, they do get paid. And some recent high draft choices are making insignificant money. I get where you are going, but it needs to be defined differently.

2. Josh Fields will also be on the ballot, leading AL rookies in homers with 15. He's probably the same level as Gordon at this point.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

What, good at garbage-time production?

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'll give you three reasons why such a rule will not be implemented: Ichiro Suzuki, Kazuhiro Sasaki and Hideo Nomo.

5. Yup. That, and he's something to follow.

He had a 12-game stretch where he had six multi-hit games and six 0-fers; over the latter, he struck out 14 times. So two people can watch two different consecutive games and think he's either a bum or a future All-Star.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Have you see Ryan Braun? He's probably Top 5 3B in all of baseball ...

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

AL
    Pedroia
    Okajima
    Dice-K

NL
    Braun
    Tulowitzki
    Hamilton

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Lot of Red Sox homers in the building...

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

No one in the AL has been really impressive as far as rookies go.
    Okajima is one of the best relivers in baseball, Pedroia's hitting the hell out of the ball and Dice-K has 13 wins and 0 run support.

Meanwhile, Delmon Young has been a disappointment, Brian Bannister has been fairly good for a horrible team and Joakim Soria has been good, but not nearly as good as Okajima ... are there any really good options other than the Boston trio?

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

When three of the top four rookies -- easily -- are on the Red Sox, I don't think that makes us Boston homers.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Brian Bannister has a better ERA than Dice-K and has 10 wins with zero run support on a somewhat awful team. I'd pick him over Pedroia in a heartbeat.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

And who are the three other top rookies?

Draft saved Draft deleted