1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your prom song...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 27, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The prom thread the other day had me thinking about this... Curious about what people's prom songs were. If you weigh in, can you tell the song and the year of your prom? And if there was voting involved, the way there was at my high school, maybe share what some of the other choices were -- if you remember. I realize this is the kind of stuff a lot of people don't remember. Also curious about people older than me (spnited?). Not trying to be a wise-ass, just curious about whether there were prom songs, if the prom has always pretty much been the same format, etc.

I'll start.

I went to someone else's senior prom my junior year and also did my own junior prom; can't remember if the junior prom had a song, but I'll stick to my own senior prom.

The song was Forever Young by Alphaville. The year was 1986.

I think we started with five songs and the final voting came down to Forever Young or Crazy For You (the theme from Vision Quest) by Madonna. Just those two choices will give you an idea about how my high school was divided... Luckily, the forces of good defeated the evil doers, but I think it was a close vote. I get the feeling that Forever Young is kind of a cliche for a prom song for people of my generation, but I am glad we chose it. I still love that song.

Anyone else?

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

"Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

"Paradise by the Dashboard Light", Meatloaf.

What can I say--we were drunk, horny young Catholics. Don't know if it was a theme song or an anthem.

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

Forever Young one of those seriously under-rated tunes.

every time I hear it on radio I tell myself to download, then forget to.

think it's better hearing it only once in a while

our 1983 prom song was Always Something There to Remind Me, Naked Eyes, though I see now it was written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David in the 60s.

as Johnny Carson would say, I did not know that

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember the two last songs in 1992 were Silent Lucidity by Queensryche and some crap Michael Bolton song...

6. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

"Wonderful Tonight", Eric Clapton, 2006.

7. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Still, The Commodores.

8. The Big Ragu

Great song. And pretty cool that a H.S. Class from 2006 actually reached back for it.

9. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Blow Me (You hardly even know me), Red Peters.

10. The Big Ragu

Joke or serious? [/yes I am gullible, but really don't know]

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

- Country Joe and the Fish - The Viet Nam Song. We had a lot of peace activists that wanted to send a message. We also had a lot of anarcists that thought it was funny - the 2 groups pooled their votes and it won over the cliched "Color my World" much to the chagrin of the Prom committee.

12. The Big Ragu

Was it a lucky night for you?

Draft saved Draft deleted