1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your opinion?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Spartakate

Spartakate New Member

So true. I covered politics for many years and somehow kept my sources guessing until the day I left. I really think if I had told them my opinions, I wouldn't have gotten some of my stories. If you just flat out tell them "I appreciate you asking, but I'm a reporter and to report objectively I cannot voice my opinions on this matter."

2. McLovin

McLovin New Member

The line I use is "They pay me not to have an opinion." Usually the source then remembers how important it is for journalists to maintain at least the appearance of being unbiased.

3. Spartakate

Spartakate New Member

Wow that's a good one! I'll have to remember that.

4. strong opinions and a sophisticated working knowledge of a topic are often crucial in developing trusting relationships with sources

the more your source feels a kinship to you -- based on your deep understanding of the topic you're discussing with him -- the more open he'll be on the record and off

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Expecially if it is Bowden's daughter. As smooth as a baby's bottom.
    That picture is so NOT SAFE FOR WORK I won't even post the link.

6. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

I have two usual responses:

1. I don't care.

2. No, really, I don't care. This is just a job, you know?

Draft saved Draft deleted